This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM Home new licensing model

Sophos UTM Home notified me that my license will expire which surprised me since I remember it mentioning expiring in the year 2099 or 2999. I am pretty sure I went to sleep in my bed and not a stasis pod.

Looking at the license overview on my UTM web admin I see that all advanced features are set to expire and whilst renewing the home license I see that these features are no longer part of the home/essential license.

Are the advanced features available in the Sophos XG home version of the firewall or has the licensing changed there as well? I have done a quick search but could not find anything conclusive. Except a recent official post regarding features that will be disabled after license expiry.

Thanks for your time reading this and answers are much appreciated. Have a nice day.

Chris

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I think the only real thing that expires is Sandstorm for UTM Home.  I noticed everything I had expired about three license renewals ago.  I believe its really more from a pure technical support standpoint and you can't create business models support tickets, but instead use the forums here (which is probably more useful than Sophos Support).

The BasicGuard from FullGuard drop doesn't hinder your home use either.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Hi Amodin,

The thing is: with the new license BasicGuard is no longer enabled. I have attached a link to a screenshot of what I am seeing with the new license file.https://www.dropbox.com/s/hd0n3kqj0fohv68/utm_lic.png?dl=0

• Yes, but... everything still works with BasicGuard.  You just don't have FullGuard support which is access to Sophos Support tickets, you would just come here instead.  Those features are still enabled for home use.  Your screenshot shows everything disabled which is because your license expired a day ago.

You'll have to obtain your new license and upload it to your UTM - https://myutm.sophos.com/

FYI - you can also just drag and drop screenshots into your text field here.  ;)

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Hi Chris and welcome to the UTM Community!

Please Edit your first post, and insert your images into the post as Amodin suggests. We can't know if that external site is properly protected. The only malware I've gotten in over 10+ years was from an external link to a picture in this forum over 5 years ago.  Thanks in advance!

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Amodin,
    I think you missed that I am a home user to begin with and this question is regarding the changes to the license for home users. I know that expired FullGuard downgrade to BasicGuard.

The previous home license gave me most FullGuard features excluding Sandstorm. I was using web filtering, SSL VPN, site to site VPN, IPS with my previous home license with the limitation that it was for home use only and limited to 50 IP addresses. The new essentials is, essentially a NAT firewall.

So my question is if this "essentials" is the new "home" license for UTM and if XG also had its home license adjusted?

• After reading another question regarding Sophos UTM Home, the OP mentioned that his license is valid for  3 years. So I decided to go through the initial registration process again and was emailed a new home license key.

So what happened was that after getting the expiry notification I logged in to myutm.sophos.com and requested a new license and was presented with the essential license option. After re-registering through secure2.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-home-edition/download.aspx I got the new key emailed and when I log in to myutm.sophos.com and apply for a new license I now get home license as an option.

So for anyone else that ran into this issue: You will have to re-register for a home license only then will it be available as an option when creating a new license through myutm.sophos.com

Thank you Amodin and BAlfson for your fast responses.

• Thanks for redoing your first post, Chris!

Re-registering hasn't been necessary, just deleting your existing home-use license in MyUTM.  Then, you can create a new one.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Not true.  Re-registering is not necessary..  I just renew my home license without re-registering.  Look at the last post here Home license expiring / renew missing - Hardware, Installation, Up2Date, Licensing - UTM Firewall - Sophos Community