This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Rebuild UTM - confirm steps

Am newbie with Sophos UTM Home Edition (9.7) that spent 2-3 weeks fighting through intermittent problems setting up the unit because, it turns out, I have bad RAM. Have fixed that and things have stabilized in general. I'm still having a few problems that may well be rookie issues but I also wonder if there might have been permanent corruption so am thinking of taking a backup, reinstalling the restoring the backup.

A couple of questions:

1. Is it fair/accurate to think there's been some hidden corruption from past bad RAM? 

2. Will the following process work for this:

i) use webadmin to do factory reset

ii). take a USB drive and "write the backup file to the root of a USB stick and rename it to 'restore.abf'. Plug the USB pen drive into the UTM and reboot it to automatically restore the config to the UTM." taken from this support page

Or am I better for step i) to do a reinstall from original boot CD I created instead? (will the unit boot from CD first automatically?)

3. Anything missing?

4. Will this remove any corruption?

Anh info would be appreciated

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I just went through this myself a few weeks ago.  I didn't have any issue or corruption with the old system. I had allocated too much space 3 years ago and was now moving all my vm's to a ssd so needed to consolidate.  Turns out 250GB is way too much. 35GB is plenty.

This is the partition sizing on the new system

Several keys items needed to be saved.

1) Logs for the past year
    2) Reporting database
    3) Config file backups (all of them if possible)
    4) Wpasupplicant data (required for att fiber gateway bypass)

1) Log archives were saved then restored using tar command in the old/new installations.

2) See post by @DavidRocha in this thread  

Hi all, is there a way to migrate all the logs and reportings from an old appliance to a new one? Thanks for your help. Cheers, Fred
      . There's a few steps omitted, but if one has some basic knowledge, the provided info lays a good ground work on the process.

3) See this post -  

Hi People, I need to find where are the backup files automatically generated by Astaro in the filesystem. Where the backup files are stored ? I logged in Astaro by ssh and tried to search "find…
    By in UTM Firewall > General Discussion
    15 replies
      .  Similar to #1, I did a tar on the old then extracted to the new. More information about backups here -   .

4) Tar again.  I simply backed up the entire folder containing scripts and certs, then restored on the new.  Given this is triggered by a cronjob at /etc/crontab-static I had to duplicate it on the new system.  *** this is not part of a normal config, only for those doing a gateway bypass on att/fiber configurations (  ).

Depending how complicated the previous config was, I'd probably start over from scratch entirely. There's no telling what got corrupted in the configuration which was then carried over to the config file. I have mine set to generate and email a config backup file weekly. Now that there's a nas involved, I will set up some sort of cron job (with commands from #3) to create one daily on the nas.  It's cheap insurance for when trouble strikes.

•  Jay,i already backed up the entire folder containing scripts. certs and employee monitoring software reports  

Reply Children
No Data