This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Where Can I find backup files on filesystem ?

Hi People,

I need to find where are the backup files automatically generated by Astaro in the filesystem.

Where the backup files are stored ?

I logged in Astaro by ssh and tried to search "find / -name *.abf" but no luck. No files were found.

Regards,

Douglas

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Douglas,

the backups (or snapshots) are stored under
    /var/confd/var/storage/snapshots/

You can get the meta information by running the following command from shell:
    cc snapshot_list

Regards,
    Daniel
  • Thanks Daniel,

I tried to import one of the files in /var/confd/var/storage/snapshots/ to Webadmin -> Management -> Backup Restore, but I get "File Corrupt".

Is there any parsing to doing with the backup file before import it ?

Thanks,

Douglas
  • Is it encrypted?
    Is the version of Astaro you're restoring to the same or newer than the backup?

Barry
  • Hi, 
    The Astaro version we are restoring is newer then the backup.

I continue getting "file corrupt" when try to import the bacup file from /var/confd/var/storage/snapshots/.

I compared the backup files Webadmin backup download and the /var/confd/var/storage/snapshots/. The files differ. Is there any treatment performed by webadmin before download backup file ?

Thanks,
    Douglas
  • Hi Douglas,

the backups (or snapshots) are stored under
    /var/confd/var/storage/snapshots/

You can get the meta information by running the following command from shell:
    cc snapshot_list

Regards,
    Daniel

Hi all,

first post here, i have founde the files and listed via backup.plx -l

/usr/local/bin/backup.plx -l
    cfg_5791_1276671577 Automatic Backup (Up2Date 7.505) system Wed Jun 16 08:59:37 2010
    cfg_2217_1276902901 Auto-Backup system Sat Jun 19 01:15:01 2010
    cfg_23841_1277507702 Auto-Backup system Sat Jun 26 01:15:02 2010
    cfg_11483_1278112502 Auto-Backup system Sat Jul  3 01:15:02 2010

but if i copy the file from 3 Jul and download the same file via webfrontend the files differ says diff.

Can i use this files for a backup beacuase E-Mail Backup isn't nice i will backup these files via rsnapshot to my backup Server.
    And if i can use these files how do i have to restore these files so that i can be sure to have a valid backup/restore

bye
  • Welcome, oew, to the User BB!

What do you mean by "E-Mail Backup isn't nice"?  What problem are you trying to solve?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Using the RAW backup file from the file system is not supported and as you have found, will not work. Only the backup files that are sent through email or manually downloaded from WebAdmin at Management>Backup/Restore are supported to work for restoration purposes.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • dpasqua: the backup files do not have the .abf extension, so they do not import into WebAdmin.  Do you just want to import them, or restore from one?

If you copy a backup from one system to another via shell you can restore from the command line if that's your goal.

oew: can you clarify "email isn't nice"?  If you are concerned about security, use encrypted backups (with a good passphrase).  Also, keep in mind that adding third-party packages to the Astaro is not supported.
  • @ BAlsfon

i try to include the backup in my backupprocess, so i get the email and have to manuelly put it wherever.

@JackDaniel

clarify email isn't nice see answare to BAlsfon.

I try to get a nightly automatic backup that stores the backup not on the same machine and rotates them over a period i choose.
    A E-Mail Backup can't do that.

So a solutoin for me can look like this.

my central rsnapshot process copy every night at 00:00 the Backup files via scp from the astaro to my backup storage and rotates the older files.
    For these files i need a process for crashrecovery, like upload it in the webfrontend or for me the more pleasently way i can restore it on the commandline.

hope no i have clarified my intend.

bye oew
  • I configure all of my clients to have a copy of their backup sent to an archive account on our mail server in addition to the backups they have internally.  Over the four+ years I've been doing that, no one ever has needed one of their archived backups.

Be aware that the Astaro backup is only a "Configuration" backup - if you have a large email quarantine, for example, it is not a part of the backup.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA