This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to enable shell SSH acces

Hello,

Somehow I un-checked both authentication methods - "allow password authentication" and "allow public key authentication", and saved, then disabled shell/SSH

Now, I cannot re-enable SSH access (it will say "all authentication methods are disabled"), but I cannot enable authentication methods either as they are greyed out.

This message appears if I try to turn on SSH access - but authentication methods are greyed out and cannot be changed.

How can I re-enable shell? Is there a way to re-enable auth methods via console? I have physical console and can log in that way.

thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Jesse,

Restart httpd services.

/etc/init.d/httpd restart

Thanks

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• In your screen shot it appears that Shell Access is disabled with the slider button in the top right corner.

See my screen shot below.  Hit the slider to turn it green and you should be good to go.

Rick

Edit: Sorry, I just re-read this and realized you ARE trying to enable and getting the error.

Note to self: Don't try to answer forum questions before morning coffee.

• Now that you've had your coffee, any more ideas? :)

• Unfortunately, this does not make a difference either. Nor does a full box reboot. I have also tried multiple web browsers.

Is there any way to perhaps export a backup and edit it prior to reimporting?

• I have looked at these backups with a text editor and it doesn’t look like editing is doable unless you are very experienced with Sophos backups.  I have done this with Fortigate backups but this is a different format.  How long has your system been up and running?  Long enough to create at least one automatic backup from before the Shell SSH configuration change?  If yes try restoring from that.  Look under Management > Backup/Restore.

Any help there?

• Did you try setting up a user and root password first?

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Hi,

Is this a fresh setup or the SSH access stopped suddenly?

If you disable both the authentication via UI and disable SSH; reenabling the SSH in the global tab will automatically enable one of the two method to authenticate. But if you set the value 0 for password and public key authentication through backend cc > ssh command then you will lose the SSH connectivity and get the  reported error.

In this case, you need to restore the previous backup when the SSH access was allowed.  

Thanks 

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• You can re-enable password authentication at the command line as root:

cc set ssh password_auth 1

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA