This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to enable shell SSH acces

Hello,

Somehow I un-checked both authentication methods - "allow password authentication" and "allow public key authentication", and saved, then disabled shell/SSH

Now, I cannot re-enable SSH access (it will say "all authentication methods are disabled"), but I cannot enable authentication methods either as they are greyed out.

This message appears if I try to turn on SSH access - but authentication methods are greyed out and cannot be changed.

How can I re-enable shell? Is there a way to re-enable auth methods via console? I have physical console and can log in that way.

thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

Is this a fresh setup or the SSH access stopped suddenly?

If you disable both the authentication via UI and disable SSH; reenabling the SSH in the global tab will automatically enable one of the two method to authenticate. But if you set the value 0 for password and public key authentication through backend cc > ssh command then you will lose the SSH connectivity and get the  reported error.

In this case, you need to restore the previous backup when the SSH access was allowed.  

Thanks 

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi,

Is this a fresh setup or the SSH access stopped suddenly?

If you disable both the authentication via UI and disable SSH; reenabling the SSH in the global tab will automatically enable one of the two method to authenticate. But if you set the value 0 for password and public key authentication through backend cc > ssh command then you will lose the SSH connectivity and get the  reported error.

In this case, you need to restore the previous backup when the SSH access was allowed.  

Thanks 

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

Children
No Data