Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RESTful API and PowerShell Scripting

Anybody have some experiences with that?

I'd like to have a Powershell-Script that enables/disables Firewall or NAT Rules -> that means for example do this curl:

curl -X PATCH --header 'Content-Type: application/json' --header 'Accept: application/json' --header 'Authorization: Basic dG9rZW46WmZqblZtZkd0bVppZ3lYRURLZkJRZWl1dnpqRUlTTFM=' -d '{"auto_pf_in":"","auto_pfrule":false,"comment":"","destination":"","destination_nat_address":"","destination_nat_service":"","group":"","ipsec":false,"log":false,"mode":"none","name":"","service":"","source":"","source_nat_address":"","source_nat_service":"","status":true}' 'https://utm.local:4444/api/objects/packetfilter/nat/REF_PacNatHttpsFromAny'

I did already search a little bit and I found out that I have to use the Invoke-RestMethod with Powershell. I'm able to do GET things with powershell now but I don't know how to do PATCH or POST Things with Powershell...

Anybody can help?

regards

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • You might find this post helpful: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/f/management-networking-logging-and-reporting/98167/how-can-i-make-network-definition-a-member-of-network-group-using-restful-api

I just started down this path myself and I am still having issues, but I have basic connectivity working:

#The base API URL and then the plan was to add variable for more nodes.
    $apiURL = 'https://sophos:4444/api'
    $networkURI = $apiURL + '/objects/network/network/'

#Recommended you setup a token for scripting instead of using username/password. Either way it has to be converted to Base64
    $token = 'tokenFromAPIScreen'
    $tokenBase64 = [Convert]::ToBase64String([System.Text.Encoding]::Default.GetBytes("token:" + $token))

#One recommended method for building headers, you can just create an array with all the values
    $headers = @{}
    $headers.add("Authorization",'Basic ' + $tokenBase64)

#This sets the TLS levels. By default I think it tries ssl which is disabled on our UTM
    $AllProtocols = [System.Net.SecurityProtocolType]'Tls,Tls11,Tls12'
    [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = $AllProtocols

#This should return a list of network objects, with their Name / IP Address / Network Mask
    Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $networkURI -Method Get -Headers $headers | ft name,address,netmask
  • It's no problem using powershell and RESTful API for GET commands but do you have any luck with patch, put or post?

Maybe anybody have a sample for that (e.g. activating Firewall Rule or WLAN Network)

regards

• Here is a script I wrote to modify network definitions,

It covers creating new objects and modifying existing objects.

• Thanks, we found out that it simple was a syntax mistake (missing $) with powershell...

We're able to switch NAT-/Firewallrules, WLAN-Networks... on/off now with one Powershell Script (-> check and change the current status on<->off) :-)

If anybody is interested ->pm or answer here

regards

• Hi,

We are trying to use your script, but stuck at this point :

Write-Host Need to create network object $ipNet.name on Sophos UTM
      $result = Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $networkURI -Method Post -Headers $headers -Body (ConvertTo-Json $ipNet)

output :

Need to create network object MS-104.146.128.0/17 on Sophos UTM

Invoke-webrequest : null
    At C:\Scripts\Orig.ps1:98 char:13
    +         $result = Invoke-webrequest -Uri $networkURI -Method Post -Headers $headers -B ...
    +    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (System.Net.HttpWebRequest:HttpWebRequest) [Invoke-WebRequest], WebExc
       eption
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WebCmdletWebResponseException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand

Hope you can help us.

• Meanwhile problem is solved. We used an old powershell version ....

• Whatever I do, as soon as I try to POST, I get access denied.

Invoke-RestMethod : [
      {

"name": "Permission denied to create host object.",
    "rights": "ANONYMOUS",
    "attrs": [],
    "Oattrs": [
    "class",
    "type"
    ],
    "objname": "",
    "del_object": "",
    "ref": "REF_NetHosOlymp52178",
    "msgtype": "OBJECT_INSERT_DENY",
    "format": "Permission denied to create %_O object.",
    "class": "network",
    "type": "host",
    "perms": "MAILSEC,RASMAN,WIRELESS,WEBSEC,WEBAPPSEC,NETSEC,NTTCUSTOMER,SUPERADMIN,NTTCUSTOMER2",
    "never_hide": 0,
    "fatal": 1

}
    ]

Looking at "perms", I'd say I've got enough rights.

When I tried running your script to see if it would run into the same problem it failed because MS doesn't offer the XML file anymore. But comparing the code, I don't see why this script would work, and mine won't. Does anyone?

$networkURI = 'my-sophos:4444/.../'

$token = 'my_token'
    $tokenBase64 = [Convert]::ToBase64String([System.Text.Encoding]::Default.GetBytes("token:$token"))

$AllProtocols = [System.Net.SecurityProtocolType]'Tls,Tls11,Tls12'
    [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = $AllProtocols

$ip = "my IP"
    $name = "Host - $ip"
    $comment = "Whitelist for Olympia POCs"

$headers = @{}
    $headers.add('Content-Type', 'application/json')
    $headers.add('Accept', 'application/json')
    $headers.add("Authorization","Basic $tokenBase64")

$body = '{"address":"' + $ip + '","address6":"","comment":"' + $comment + '","duids":[],"hostnames":[],"interface":"","macs":[],"name":"' + $name + '","resolved":false,"resolved6":false,"reverse_dns":false}'

Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $networkURI -Method Post -Headers $headers -Body $body

Any help is appreciated.

Jan

• Found it myself, but it may be useful for others.

The user account for which you create the API token, must be a local account. You cannot use an auto-generated account from an Active Directory user. I consider this a bug, so I will create a ticket for it in SophServ, but I don't have high hopes for this being fixed soon.

Jan