This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Connection issues w/Apple devices

Hi! First post here!

Some of my clients are having wireless connection problems with their sophos access points. 

Here is the hardware in question: 
UTM120 (9.209-8) + AP30
UTM220 (9.209-8) + AP30
UTM320 (9.209-8) + AP50

Symptoms: 
- It happens mostly with apple devices
- Device tries to connect to the wireless network then just gives up.
- Device tries to connect to the wireless network, then shows it is connected but can't reach the DHCP server.
- After many attempts, the device might connect but usually gets disconnected after a couple of minutes. 
- We get a more reliable connection with an open SSID (no encryption)

Configuration: 
WPA2 Personal
2.4/5ghz
Bridged to AP lan
AES encryption

I have done as much as I can do to investigate myself and I'm pretty much out of ideas. This is really odd, especially since three clients with different hardware are having similar issues. 

Do you guys have any idea what's going on?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

this sounds like a typical broadcast issue. Broadcasts consume a lot of air time and having much of them in the network can lead to a complete breakdown of the Wifi. "Bridged to AP lan" can easily lead to a lot of broadcasts transmitted over the air. Using seperate zone can reduce the broadcasts on the air drastically (since all broadcasts from wired devices won't consume air time anymore). If seperate zone is for some reason not possible you should consider dividing the network differently (like using vlans). For further analyzing I would suggest to tcpdump on the wire for sources of broadcasts and if there are some others besides DHCP or ARP.

Regards,
    Emanuel
  • Salut, aguillemette, and welcome to the User BB!

There's too much data in that file.  One of us would have to analyze the whole thing just to figure out what we were looking for.  Please show us the log lines from a single connection attempt or tell us what to look for when in your file.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi folks,
    there was an upgrade to iPads, iPhones and MACs last night primarily to fix a wifi issue along with other issues.

Might pay to get the users to upgrade then review the issue?

Ian

XG115W - v20.0.2 MR-2 - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20.0.2 MR-2

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• What is the version number on that update, Ian?
  • Hello there, first post for me too [;)]

I'm a colleague of aguillemette. Just wanted to thank you for the tips, give us a few days to tests things a bit (Apple updates, Wifi in separate zone) as we are not on site. We will make sure to keep you posted!
  • What is the version number on that update, Ian?

It's IOS 8.1.1 [;)]

Sent from my iPhone using Astaro.org

-----

Best regards
    Martin

Sophos XGS 2100 @ Home | Sophos v20 Technician

• Ah, he meant an Apple Update. My mistake. I was under the impression that was solely to address iPad 2 and iPhone 4s devices. I'll give it a whirl when I get home anyway. Thanks!
  • Ah, he meant an Apple Update. My mistake. I was under the impression that was solely to address iPad 2 and iPhone 4s devices. I'll give it a whirl when I get home anyway. Thanks!

No worries [;)]

I use UTM 9.301-2 with AP50 with 4 iOS devices, no one complained so far...

Sent from my iPhone using Astaro.org

-----

Best regards
    Martin

Sophos XGS 2100 @ Home | Sophos v20 Technician

• Thanks guys for the replies. 

We will be doing some more testing with your suggestions starting with the iOS update. Once that is cleared out, we might as well isolate wireless clients in a different subnet. We have been having trouble with mass broadcast on the network since we introduced Windows 8 workstations, but that's another story...

If none of this works out, I'll try to get a log/tcpdump of a single occurence of the problem.
  • Hi folks,
    I assumed because we are in a specific forum talking about a specific product range that everyone would assume an update to MACs of all types.

I run to UTMS, one with one AP10 and the other with an AP10 and an AP50 and throughput if anything has improved. My SSIDs are all bridged, no guest networks.

Ian

XG115W - v20.0.2 MR-2 - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20.0.2 MR-2

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.