This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hardware Recommendation for Sophos UTM

Hello,

I was thinking of installing the latest version of Sophos UTM on the following hardware:

• AMD A10 Micro-6700T  (1.2GHz, boost up to 2.2GHz) (64-bit quad core)
  • 8GB DDR3-1333
  • 32GB Storage
  • Dual Intel I211 GbE controller

I have a 150Mbps Down & 50Mbps Up internet connection.
There will be about 20 devices on the internal LAN.

Will this hardware spec be enough to handle my internet connection and all the internal LAN traffic?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I'll leave the CPU recommendations to others.  40GB is the minimum recommended hard drive size, so you might want to get a larger one..

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • RAM should be fine. Same with the Intel NIC's.

William will no doubt chime in with an explanation why AMD's CPU's are not optimal for UTM use (something to do with CPU designs in the newer AMD cores) but long and short is, if you plan to use any CPU intensive features (A/V, IPS, etc) and want to keep up with your 150/50 line, you need an Intel i3/i5 with higher clock speeds. Quad Core i7's often are too much in home use owing to power saving features throttling down clock speeds.
  • I have recently built a machine for home use.

A few more details might help.

Which features do you plan to run ?  Different features add to the load quite significantly.

How many users do you have and what sort of usage do they make ?  (I have two full time users, but 30 devices on a 160/12 connection)

Will you be running any servers behind the UTM ?

If you are buying the hardware new an eye on power consumption is worthwhile since the device is likely to be on 24/7.  My test machine, built on old hardware lying around consumed about 90W, the new one about 30W.  Thats a lot more economical and greener

You mention 32G storage - I suspect this might be a SSD, and SSD are not recommended for the UTM.  Having said that you really don't need a vast device.  I used a 1.5TB drive I had spare - and Sophos , really helpfully tells me I have over 100 years of capacity for logs!
  • over 100 years of capacity for logs! 

Oh, no - the great-grandchildren will know what questionable sites you surfed! [[[:D]]][[[:D]]][[[:D]]]

William would recommend the fastest i3/i5 you can afford.  My only preference is for a CPU that supports AES-NI as that will make VPNs faster today and should make IPv6 much faster when used with IPsec encryption in the future.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello,

I was thinking of installing the latest version of Sophos UTM on the following hardware:

• AMD A10 Micro-6700T  (1.2GHz, boost up to 2.2GHz) (64-bit quad core)
    • 8GB DDR3-1333
    • 32GB Storage
    • Dual Intel I211 GbE controller

I have a 150Mbps Down & 50Mbps Up internet connection.
    There will be about 20 devices on the internal LAN.

Will this hardware spec be enough to handle my internet connection and all the internal LAN traffic?

amd for utm is not a good idea.  they have a serious physical design flaw that i have covered previously.  For what you are looking to do i would go with a core I-3 3.0 ghz or faster.  I would not recommend a core i-5 at all with your light load.

OR

Run a core i-5 3.0 ghz with more than 8 gigs of ram.  I would then dedicate 8-12 gigs of ram to the UTM vm.  Setup the cpu allocation as 3 vcpu with 100 percent minimum and 100 percent maximum.  Increase storage to 80 gigs or more in the process.  if you run windows 7 use hyper-v 2008.  If you run win 8 run hyper-v 2012.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• I have not found my detailed post about the AMD design but in a nutshell AMD dual core isn't really a true dual core.  The ALU units each share an FPU per module.  This "core" is really not a true dual core design and it shows.  AMD is basically the p-4 to intel's sandy bridge and above.  It's energy inefficient and AMD cannot ramp the clocks fast enough to keep up with the huge disadvantage in math processing abilities.  Software tweaks and scheduling can only go so far when the processor is hampered by it's own physical design.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow