This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SafeGuard 8.00.251 and Windows 10 Build 1709 problems

Is there any incompatiblity between the SafeGuard 8.00.251 version and the newest Windows 10 build 1709?

I tried installing the encryption on a Dell Latitude 3480 and 3580 and i have a few problems with it.

The activation of the encryption is not working like it did with build 1703 and after activating, i am not able to login because i dont get a login screen anymore.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi - I'm running 8.00.0.251 and Windows 1709 and it works well. Is this a clean build of 1709 or an inplace upgrade with Sophos already installed?

• Hi Markus, 

As Michael mentioned, did you do an in-place upgrade? Just keeping you informed, if it is an in-place upgrade, an issue is expected.

And about the login screen, What do you see? Is it a blue screen or just a black screen? 

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• It was a clean install. Just Build 1709, newest updates and the original drivers from the dell website.

I see the standard background picture (the one with the rocks), but no user picture, no username and no password bar. The users in the lower left corner are also missing. Only the background picture, and the icons in the lower right corner (shutdown, wireless, etc) are visible.

After 2-3 minutes you can hear the windows error sound for one time. Waiting longer does not change anything.

• Morning - There is a known issue with a hanging login screen/logging out. There's a slim chance it might be that? I've experienced this on two machines now out of many hundreds.

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/120249 or the msi version of the patch is https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/127082

I did experience a 6 minute delay on the one laptop. Did the patch, rebooted (I used the manual reg changes) and all was well again.

• @Haridoss Sreenivasan

is it possible to get this hotfix as msp file?

thx @ MichaelMcLannahan for the tip!

• Hi Markus, 

Have all the windows components are up to date on your machine? 

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• The OS build was 16299.64 and there were no more windows updates left to install.

I already got the LockDelayHotfix as MSP File.

I will try it with the next notebook i get. I had to hand over the other ones with build 1703, because they were urgently needed.

• A litte update on this problem.

I tried a clean install of build 1709 on a DELL Latitude 3580 again. With the LockDelayHotfix and/or the 8.0.4 client hotfix, the login delay is gone. But the problem with the encryption still exists.

Here is what i have done step for step:

1. Installed Windows 10 Build 1709 with all Updates and Drivers

2. Installed Sophos SafeGuard Enterprise (ClientPreinstall first, Client x64 second, Configuration third and 8.0.4 Hotfix last)

3. Reboot

4. Login with User via Sophos Credentials Provider (the Picture with the Sophos logo) --> whats weired here, it shows me "Computername\Username" under the login picture. With Build 1703 its ".\Username" and the second weired thing, it also shows "locked" (like it looks like after you lock the workstation). Since i rebooted the whole system its impossible that this user is still logged in.

5. After login i get prompted to type in the password to complete the encryption (the window is from sophos and never showed up with build 1703)

6. i get prompted to save the recovery files

7. i get prompted to set a pin for the encryption (also weired here, i have to click the button "encryption" and not "encrypt and restart" like it was under build 1703)

8. i have to do a manual restart

9. bitlocker asks for PIN (all ok here)

10. at login screen i can login, but now i'm in a loop and all begins with step 4 again, where i have to login at windows with sophos credentials provider and in get promted to enter password in sophos again.

Any idea? Looks like if i install Build 1703 and do in-place upgrade to 1709 everything is working just normal.

I'm using Sophos SafeGuard in Standalone Mode, since the Notebooks are not connected to a domain.

• I was able to fix this: https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/128152

It's the Improved Boot Up Experience Feature thats activated as default in Windows 10 1709.

For me the knowledge base article came a little bit too late. I already spent hours with this...