This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WorkGroup Environment unable to install Sophos Endpoint Protection

One of our customer have workgroup environment and we tried to installed the Sophos Endpoint Protection on that to connect it to management console but unable to do so.
we have admin id and password of end user system and when we try to put admin user name and password it says invalid credentials. Any idea what will be the issue.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello SaqibAlam,

please see item 1.a. in How does the 'Protect computers wizard' perform an installation? Note the second sentence: These credentials need to be able to log onto the computer where the Sophos Management Service resides. In other words: A Scheduled Task is created on the target computer which is running with the credentials you've put in. It must be possible to access the CID with these credentials.

Christian

• Hi Christian,

I follow the following technote : https://docs.sophos.com/esg/enterprise-console/tools/deployment_guide/en-us/index.html

but still facing same issue. Just wondering do i need to created scheduler task manually on each computer.

• Hello SaqibAlam,

your screenshot shows that you've used the user name administrator. This is the administrator of the endpoint you want to protect, isn't it? In order for Protect Computers to work a user with the name administrator must also exist and be enabled on the SEC server and use the same password  (please note that the Network logons security must be set to Classic).

Christian

• Hi Christian,

"In order for Protect Computers to work a user with the name administrator must also exist and be enabled on the SEC server and use the same password" 
    You want to say that SEC server administrator and end user machine administrator password should be same.

Regards,
    Saqib 

• Hello saqib,

correct. In the AD environment you'd normally use a Domain-Admin (who has sufficient access rights to both servers and workstations). In a workgroup environment it's better to (create and) use an account that has only the necessary rights (logon - network, not interactive - and read access to the share) on the server and administrative access on the workstations.

Christian

• Hi Christian,

Thanks for your support, once i change the password for administrator of all the computers in workgroup environment and make the same password as of server on which enterprise console was installed, i was able to successfully installed the Endpoint on all computers without having any issues.

Saqib Alam

• HI All,

I tried to give same password of enterprise console for workgroup computers but it dint work can you please suggest me on installing SOPHOS on workgroup clients.

Sudheer

• Hello Sudheer,

same password
    must be same username and same password but then it should work.
    In more detail: Say all your PCs have an account named PC-Admin (of course same password), then you'd need a PC-Admin account also with the same password on your SEC server. This doesn't need to be a special account, all it needs are the rights to remotely login and access the \SophosUpdate\ share. Works with the usual security settings.

Protect Computers is just one way to install the software though. What method do you use to install other software?

Christian

• HI Christian,

Thank you so much for your reply i tried the way you suggested (i.e,Providing same credentials to work group computers admin credentials  as SEC admin credentials ) but it didn't work.We use sharing as another method to install software ,while i try this also only sophos auto update is installing in work group laptops.Please suggest me if there is any other way to install on work group computers.

Sudheer

• Hello Sudheer,

only sophos auto update is installing in work group laptops
    how exactly do you install it? Actually an install is performed by installing AutoUpdate which then downloads and installs all other components.
    To give an example what I mean by exactly:
    From the workstation connect to the ...\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP\ share, start setup.exe, fill the fields as necessary and click the button. Potential problem: If you don't enter the correct update location and credentials AutoUpdate will get installed but subsequently fail to download the software.

Christian