This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Update Manager - Software delivery failed

Hi,

My endpoints have not been updating correctly for the last couple of weeks.  In the Enterprise Console they show all show as "Not Since 19-12-2009 08:47:19"

If I look at the update manager screen it shows an error of Software Delivery Failed, if I force it to update it will go to "Downloading binaries" then back to "Software Delivery Failed"

If I look at the update manager details I see the following errors

Code            Description

80040401   Software Update Failed

80040408   Unable to write to distribution location \\server_name\SophosUpdate for software subscription "software for updating policy 'SD Policy'"

80040404   Threat detection data update failed

Running the following

Enterprise Console v4 on Win 2003 server

Clients running version 7 (and a couple on 9)

The upgrade to version 4 took place a few weeks earlier, and everything was okay

any ideas where I could start looking?

many thanks

:607

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • bit more info

In the application log on the server I am seeing

Decode operation failed when decoding product release 'F26F7EC0-1302-4DA7-8B6B-A5383051D41A'. Details: Checksum error: 818bb15a83d3b4f54d1789b50426a52cx000 -> ilogres.dll

also for these files

sharedres.dll

iconfres.dll

ischdres.dll

ALMonres.dll

It appears that a week before (approx the 8th) some windows updates messed up and generated a load of log files which filled the hard drive, this was sorted but since then we've had the above errors

ta

:611
  • right, got it sorted so this is for anyone else who happens to run into the same problem....

I renamed and recreated the CIDS and Warehouse folder in

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Update Manager\Update Manager

re ran the updates and this downloaded new (and uncorrupted) updates

and all is well

:617
  • Hi jkeogh,

So how did you find your solution in the end? Sophos Tech Support, your own troubleshooting, found the right knowledgebase content, or what? I'm interested because if you looked and didn't find anything in our various web resources, perhaps we should write an article, or clarify an existing one.

Oh, and incidentally, thanks for flagging your own reply as an Accepted Solution. Doing that makes it much easier for other community members to find the solution.

Cheers,

spike

:627
  • Hi,

I wasn't able to find a solution online for this error, so after seeing the checksum errors took a gamble on the rename that worked

jk

:644
  • Hi, I hope someone can help me with.... I am getting the same problem as above, but on Windows Server 2008. I want to try the same resolution as you, and after researching i am on the undertanding that these folders should be under the following path: C:\Program Data\Sophos\Update Manager\Update Manager\Warehouse BUT, in the Sophos folder i do not have an Update mamager folder :S Could someone help me out with this to find out if i am doing somethijng wrong, or to get these files and folders where they need to be.... Thanks, Kevin Bennett
    :2676
  • Hi, Thanks for the reply. The actual error i am getting is 'Threat Detection update failed'. I have been browsing the articles, and yes my problem is related to the problems listed there, but nothing to help me with the problem of having no folders under the C:\Program files\Sophos root.... Assistance would be appreciated. Regards, Kev B
    :2682
  • Hello Kev,

you said \Program Data\Sophos in your first post and \Program Files\Sophos in your second. Just to make sure you are looking in the correct location: It's \ProgramData\Sophos\... but even \Program Files\Sophos or \Program Files (x86)\Sophos should at least contain \Enterprise Console.

Christian

:2699
  • Hi jkeogh,

I renamed the CIDs folder to CIDs-2 and Warehouse to Warehouse-2 but as I can see they cannot recreate when I try to Update it.

Now also the clients lost the connection to the server!

Thanks

Alex

:5926
  • I'd advise caution if you are using http for your update source.

Recreating the folders or having Sophos Update Manager (SUM) do it for you means that any settings you have in the IIS such as directory browsing and MIME Types are lost; ensure you reapply them once SUM shows as being happy. That or delete the contents rather than the top level folders.

:10513
  • For me the problem is solved after the rename of dir CIDs and Warehouse.

I hope will help.

:41921