This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Update Manager - Software delivery failed

Hi,

My endpoints have not been updating correctly for the last couple of weeks.  In the Enterprise Console they show all show as "Not Since 19-12-2009 08:47:19"

If I look at the update manager screen it shows an error of Software Delivery Failed, if I force it to update it will go to "Downloading binaries" then back to "Software Delivery Failed"

If I look at the update manager details I see the following errors

Code            Description

80040401   Software Update Failed

80040408   Unable to write to distribution location \\server_name\SophosUpdate for software subscription "software for updating policy 'SD Policy'"

80040404   Threat detection data update failed

Running the following

Enterprise Console v4 on Win 2003 server

Clients running version 7 (and a couple on 9)

The upgrade to version 4 took place a few weeks earlier, and everything was okay

any ideas where I could start looking?

many thanks

:607

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I love you man, have been trying to solve this same problem for two weeks. Tried working thru tech support. Thank you, thank you.
    :49904
  • Hi,

I am getting the same error in the SEC.

We have a primary server and a relay server. Our relay server is currently displaying this error message.

When I look at the event viewer it is displaying the following event.

Decode operation failed when decoding product release 'F26F7EC0-1302-4DA7-8B6B-A5383051D41A'. Details: Checksum error: 088c671eb56381fd2d821bb57604c3adx000 -> DCManagement.dll

Is it safe to just rename the CID and warehouse folders as you guys have done? Or is there something else that I should be doing prior to renaming these folders? Does the Sophos Update Manager re-created these folders on the fly?

Thank you,

Cheers

:52663
  • Hello toddh,

as this error occurs before deployment you can leave the CIDs untouched.

A SUM downloads to the Warehouse, then decodes to the various Decoded- subfolders in Working and eventually either deploys to the CIDs or updates itself (from Decoded-SDDM). Whatever is missing will be re-created, even the top-level folders though it's recommended to just delete the contents (and, BTW, you should be nice and stop the SUM service before any action in these folders). Thus you should empty the Warehouse, doing the same for Working is perhaps not necessary but it doesn't do any real harm. As said, no need to rename/delete the CIDs.

HTH

Christian

:52731
  • Hi QC,

Thank you for the response!

Just wanted to be clear on the steps.

• Stop the SUM Service
    • Delete the contents of the Warehouse directory
    • Start the SUM Service

Once I have done this I should be checking to see if the server is able to successfully download new updates?

So by clearing the Warehouse it allows the SUM to download fresh packages from Sophos and go through it's decoding process? Any data contains within the Working directory I suppose would be overwritten by the newly download packages?

If after clearing the Warehouse I am still receiving the error message should I perform the same steps again, but this time also clear the Working directory?

Thank you again for your help,

Cheers

:52749
  • Hello toddh,

"decoding" this particular file likely just means putting it in the correct partial path with the name DCManagement.dll. If you have not yet deleted it from the Warehouse you could check its MD5 (guess what it should be, ends with c3ad :smileywink:). This I'd assume that clearing the warehouse should suffice.

Christian

:52775
  • Hi QC,

Thank you for your insight!

Your solution corrected the issue that I was experiencing and since all of our clients have been able to update.

I took a copy of the original DCManagement.dll file (before I emptied the Warehouse directory) and tried to run a checksum on it. I can only assume that I did it in completely the wrong way as the results did not end in the values that you had mentioned.

This is definitely a good solution though that I need to keep handy for the future.

Thank you again for your help!

Cheers

:52841
  • Hello Todd,

good to hear it works now. There are many tools to calculate the MD5, I'm using mostly GnuWin32's  md5sum port.

Cheers

Christian

:52879
  • Hi, I hope someone can help me with.... I am getting the same problem as above, but on Windows Server 2008. I want to try the same resolution as you, and after researching i am on the undertanding that these folders should be under the following path: C:\Program Data\Sophos\Update Manager\Update Manager\Warehouse BUT, in the Sophos folder i do not have an Update mamager folder :smileyfrustrated: Could someone help me out with this to find out if i am doing somethijng wrong, or to get these files and folders where they need to be.... Thanks, Marcus Queen

:52961
  • Hello Marcus,

indeed this should be the path (except that ProgramData doesn't contain a blank). I don't think that you've modified the SUM configuration as you would remember having done so. Which folders do you see in the Sophos folder?

Other ways to locate the Warehouse are browsing to the \\YourServer\SophosUpdate share (you should see Warehouse therein) and Share and Storage Management from Server Manager -> Roles -> File Services (the list of shares shows the local path).

Christian

:52981
  • Folks, I ran into this same problem when my Sophos license schedule was renewed.  I put the username password into the update manager config with copy and paste, and then today I read a doc that said you can't copy and paste passwords.

So I manually entered the subscription password in the update manager config and then my updates started working.

It would be nice if the console output something helpful like "bad credentials" to make finding the problem a lot easier.

:53835