This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Moving from McAfee to Sophos

Hi all,

I am in the process of moving our AV solution from McAfee 8.x to Sophos Central.

I was wondering if anyone has done this before in their environment and what their experience was?

We have approx. 7,000 machines which are 90% Windows 7 and 10% Windows 10.

We will also be using SCCM to deploy the clients and we also use SCCM OSD for our build process.

Any input is welcomed.

many thanks,

Jay

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Welcome to Sophos...

Have you tested if the Competitor Removal Tool (CRT) that is run during the installation of SAV can remove your current McAfee version(s)?  Will you be replying on it or are you coming up with your own solution to remove McAfee first?  

As you are rolling out with a scripted approach using SCCM, you could potentially run any uninstaller command yourself.  Do you know what needs to be run to remove McAfee in a silent way?

For example, is it required to disable any tamper protection it might have first?  Tamper protection solutions are becomingpretty advanced these days so that is worth considering.

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/121447 might help you establish a command if needed.

Do you have a list of all the versions of McAfee installed across the computers?  It might be worth testing an upgrade of each version on each platform you have.

Regards,

Jak

• Hello Jay,

haven't done it, don't use Central, was about to post my reply when the Community went down, meanwhile jak has replied - nevertheless some any input:

First of all, the Sophos Central forum is likely the better place (even though jak has found the post here [;)]) for this and subsequent questions about installation and central management.

As to SCCM please see the Methods for automating the deployment of Sophos Central ... article.
    Do you already have a plan how to remove McAfee? Some "third-party security software" can automatically be removed.

Christian

• Hi jak, QC,

Thank you for your replies....apologies about the delayed response, had a bit of a hold up on the project.

So, I've successfully been able to deploy the Sophos agent/client using SCCM.

I used the command below which does a good job of removing McAfee and alerting the users to restart their machine once Sophos has been installed.

SophosInstall.exe -q -tps remove

Has worked well for me so far.

I'm sure i'll have more questions as I widen my deployment.

Jay