This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Separate VLANs over WiFi

I'm wondering if what I'm trying to do is possible.  I have it set up as it is in the diagram with the exception of the DHCP servers currently being configured on the UTM.

The only issue I'm having is that I get no IP address when connecting to the Guest WiFi network.  I guessing that this is because the AP only lets me configure one VLAN for it, so the requests are coming in on the wrong interface?  How can I make it so that the two SSID's give out different network scopes, while one is bridged to a VLAN?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

This should work; I've got some of my wifi networks bridged and some not.

Can you give the Guest WiFi it's own network without using bridging?
    If so, then you need to setup DHCP for that new network.

Barry
  • I got it working.  I had to tag both VLANs going into the AP.  I guess the VLAN assignment that you assign to the AP is just for communication with the UTM.  It appears that bridging to a VLAN requires that the VLAN is tagged on the switchport attached the to AP.
  • This is an old post; however, I have been looking for such clarification: VLAN ID of AP vs VLAN ID of Wireless Networks. 
    CClasen said, " I guess the VLAN assignment that you assign to the AP is just for communication with the UTM. It appears that bridging to a VLAN requires that the VLAN is tagged on the switchport attached the to AP." I need to iterate it because I have guessed the same thing so far. I am leaving out all the other details of creating wireless networks using Sophos AP; I am only concentrating on VLAN ID of AP vs Wireless Networks.
    So, we have a trunk going to the AP. The trunk contains VLAN 2 and VLAN 3. We set VLAN 2 in the allowed networks, and we set the VLAN ID of AP equal to 2. What we did so far will establish the connection of AP with UTM. Then we can create a Wireless Network with VLAN ID 2 and a Wireless Network with VLAN ID 3.
    So, it is intuitive to think of  the new Wireless Network with VLAN ID 2 to be bridged to VLAN 2 of UTM. 
    Is the other Wireless Network with VLAN ID 3 bridged to VLAN 3 of UTM?
    In that case, we can add more Wireless Network to be bridged to other existing VLAN's in UTM. We add the new tagged VLAN to the trunk going to AP (i.e., VLAN 4), and finally set the new Wireless Network with VLAN ID = 4.
  • if you have your AP in VLAN2 and you also want a SSID in VLAN2 you can probably use "Bridge to AP LAN" for your VLAN3 SSID you should need Bridge to VLAN.
    All VLAN's need to be tagged and of course should also be configured on the switchport connecting to the AP.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• apijnappels,
    Thank you for the reply!
    Interesting! I didn't think of having "Bridge to AP LAN" after connecting the AP in that same VLAN because the documentation doesn't explain how the AP works. It sounds like the "access mode" in a switch.  However, since you said "probably" I plan to play around with different SSIDs in a couple of weeks.
    Thank you,
    Martin