This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sharepoint & Sophos UTM 9.1

Dear Community,

I have a bit of an issue with our new Sharepoint (2013) server.
The internal use through http is working just fine with SSO.

With the external access I have an issue. We have an SSL certificate, which is impemented. I have added a Virtual Webserver and a Real Webserver for the site, with the certificate and with a Firewall Profile, on which nothing is activated.

I can reach the server from an external location, but I have to enter and apply my user data (username, pw) about 10 times before the page shows normally.

Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

Many thanks, Cheers
Rolf

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Guys,

I managed to get this working on UTM 9.2 using SharePoint 2007.

What I did:
    I set up SharePoint with an external site in SharePoint using Alternate Access Mappings for the external domain, I enabled basic authentication only, disabling NTLM.

I published the site using the UTM with no authentication delegation, and the username domain\username works fine.

It is important to ensure that the back-end SharePoint only has basic authentication enabled, check the HTTP headers for this.

The next step is to modify the basic authentication settings in IIS, and change the default domain in the basic authentication settings.  This means that just specifying a username works fine.

When the UTM does authentication delegation, it only sends the plain username to the back-end web server.  This means that the authentication delegation will fail unless the default domain is set in the IIS properties for the external website.

I enabled forms based authentication delegation in the UTM and successfully logged into SharePoint using the UTM forms based authentication.

However, when using this method, Word and other Office apps fail because I believe that the UTM is presenting them the forms based authentication page when you try and check out a document, and the Office tries to connect to the SharePoint web services.  ISA is better in this respect as it only does forms based authentication for browser clients based on the headers sent in the HTTP request, otherwise it falls back to basic.

I overcame this by changing the authentication delegation on the front-end in the UTM to basic.  When users now connect to the SharePoint site externally, they have to provide just their username and password, and the UTM does the authentication to the back-end server.  When using an Office app, there is an authentication prompt, but once this is complete, the app works normally.  This also happens with the ISA publishing so it isn't a problem.

I now have the same functionality as I have with the ISA box, in that I can selectively publish SharePoint externally to specific user groups, and the initial authentication is done at the UTM.  The only functionality I have lost which isn't a deal breaker is the forms authentication, which is only a nice to have.

Thanks.
    Andrew.
  • Hi Guys,

I managed to get this working on UTM 9.2 using SharePoint 2007.

What I did:
    I set up SharePoint with an external site in SharePoint using Alternate Access Mappings for the external domain, I enabled basic authentication only, disabling NTLM.

I published the site using the UTM with no authentication delegation, and the username domain\username works fine.

It is important to ensure that the back-end SharePoint only has basic authentication enabled, check the HTTP headers for this.

The next step is to modify the basic authentication settings in IIS, and change the default domain in the basic authentication settings.  This means that just specifying a username works fine.

When the UTM does authentication delegation, it only sends the plain username to the back-end web server.  This means that the authentication delegation will fail unless the default domain is set in the IIS properties for the external website.

I enabled forms based authentication delegation in the UTM and successfully logged into SharePoint using the UTM forms based authentication.

However, when using this method, Word and other Office apps fail because I believe that the UTM is presenting them the forms based authentication page when you try and check out a document, and the Office tries to connect to the SharePoint web services.  ISA is better in this respect as it only does forms based authentication for browser clients based on the headers sent in the HTTP request, otherwise it falls back to basic.

I overcame this by changing the authentication delegation on the front-end in the UTM to basic.  When users now connect to the SharePoint site externally, they have to provide just their username and password, and the UTM does the authentication to the back-end server.  When using an Office app, there is an authentication prompt, but once this is complete, the app works normally.  This also happens with the ISA publishing so it isn't a problem.

I now have the same functionality as I have with the ISA box, in that I can selectively publish SharePoint externally to specific user groups, and the initial authentication is done at the UTM.  The only functionality I have lost which isn't a deal breaker is the forms authentication, which is only a nice to have.

Thanks.
    Andrew.
Children
No Data