This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

html5 remote access gives "(403) Forbidden" error

I've setup the remote access portal (correctly I think), and can access it from the internal network. However, when I try to connect to it from an external network I get the following error:

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I'm connecting via https://mydomain.com and have not changed the default ports.

Any pointers to what could be wrong?

Thanks...

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Are you getting this error when you try to connect to the User Portal?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Yes- I get this error when I try to connect to the user portal, but only when accessing from an external network. If I access it from the internal network, the user portal works.
  • In 'Management >> User Portal', change 'Allowed networks' from "Internal (Network)" to "Any" - did that do it?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Something is grabbing port 443 when connecting externally. Check you nat rules.  Likely a dnat rule is in place that's redirecting you to another destination vs the end user portal.
  • I had both of those things going on. I had a dnat rule and did not allow external access via the management -> user portal settings. The thing is that I still got the 403 error when I deleted the dnat rule. 

Thanks guys.
  • Is web application firewall turned on by chance ?

Ssh into the utm.  As the root user run the followong command. 

Tcpdump -ni any host ipaddress

IP address is to be the ip you are coming from. From the external side hit the google and type what's my ip. 

Test again. Thai will tell you where the traffic is going. Also make sure your not connected to web admin while testing to keep the noise down in your dump. Post the results.