This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Database Rebuild

Hi Team,

My ASG 525 HA - 8.309 is taking too much time (unable to query the objects some time) to query the object - show where this object is in use and last change [IN network definition].

I have 1273 network definition hosts.

I'm thinking rebuild the database , is it gonna help me ??

/etc/init.d/postgresql rebuild  => what would be the effect of this command ??

will its gonna effect my web security logs ??

Or anything else is the fix of this issue

I have attached the snap of CPU & MEMORY UTILIZATION which is normal.

and also I'm continuously getting below mentioned logs in confd.log
var/HuirlwoAlxXZGpLqGpZh/downloads/singlelogfile/confd.log

2013:04:22-00:25:09 FW_INTRA_HO-2 confd[7872]: W main::cleanup_sessions:984() => id="3100" severity="warn" sys="System" sub="confd" name="timeout: removing session" sid="xLeXcQwSysmPCWFdBDQg"
2013:04:22-00:25:09 FW_INTRA_HO-2 confd[7872]: W main::cleanup_sessions:966() => id="3100" severity="warn" sys="System" sub="confd" name="removing corrupted session" sid="xLeXcQwSysmPCWFdBDQg.lock"

I have attached the snap of the query objects , which show that the process was  stopped.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Drew,

That looks like you have confirmation, and that this is a bug.  There's just no reason that this should happen - something is hanging somewhere - don't you think?

So, do you agree that Yagnesh should request escalation of this issue?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I'd definitely agree it's worth escalating. Something is not right, especially if it can be reproduced consistently. Yagnesh, Can you reproduce this hang every time you open a list of definitions? 

I don't see how confd should be able to swamp a single core on a Xeon. I run entire (virtualised) AD Domain Controllers off a single virtual cpu on a Xeon 5600 series and never peg the core. So what is confd doing that's swamping a core?

I never reported my issue on 8.300 because I was running Rev3 120's and on 7.5x could swamp them just turning on IPS & Web Proxy, so I assumed the units were just underpowered for 8.x and some slowness was inevitable. It also wasn't consistent as I could be fine bouncing through screens in WebAdmin and then all of a sudden requests would start hanging, sometimes for a brief period, sometimes till I closed the screen and waited a minute or two before reopening. The one consistent thing is that when it hangs, it pegs the CPU. It does eventually recover (mostly) after the 30sec window comes up and I tell it to wait.

Only thing that didn't feel right for a pegged CPU was that everything else in the UTM would remain online, even cpu intensive stuff like VPN's (we run several IPSEC & RED tunnels off one of the 120's) would continue fine. It almost felt like the process was hung waiting for disk I/O.
  • Hi Team,

I found the interesting thing here[:D] , seems like bug.

My all objects are bounded to different interfaces , so ones I make the bound Interface to "any" .

I'm able to find their information by info button in no time (happy) & than i once again bind them to the proper interface , i'm also able to find the their information.
  • Hi Team,

I found the interesting thing here , seems like bug.

Once I made any change in object definition , like change in name or bounded interface or comment.

I'm able to find their information by info button in no time (happy).

About escalating , man they have the same answer every-time to upgrade to UTM9 , that's frustrating.
  • Hi Team,

Finally after lots of escalation , below is the answer from the SOPHOS.

It's a bug

Our development team mention this issue as bug which need to solve by building new cofiguration which take time.

For now there is no solution for this issue but you can mail at support@sophos.com with the bug id to know the update.

Bug id is 25436: querys where object is in use takes very much time

At this time there is no solution so I will close this case for now.
  • Thanks, Yagnesh - good work!

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • OK , 
    it all began 4~5 days ago, 
    I started receiving emails from my UTM saying that data disk is filling up...
    that install , never complained of anything for the last year at least...
    so now, the UTM bagan to be slow, really really really slow, couldn't get pages I was requesting , couldn't search on google, ...etc..
    now tried every cleaning, cache clearing, log removing trick mentionned in here,  
    didn't change the data filling issue
    now , 
    just while looking around I noticed that the 
    /var/storage/pgsql92 folder was huge!!!!
    so I did a rebuild, 
    solved the data filling issue and ALSO solved the slowliness issue.
    that was 2 days ago,
    tonight, data filling up again, and slow as hell again, couldn't search on google and all...
    did another rebuild because the same folder was huge again, 
    it solved AGAIN both issues...
    now
    what is going on?
    Where and how can I find or see in the logs what is going on?
    I mean what changed???
    maybe it's the update I took last week !?!?!

I'm at 9.105-9

Thanks
  • If your disk meets the minimum hardware requirements, you shouldn't have partition problems. Deleting the contents of pgsql92 folder won't help because it will increase back in a couple of days as you have observed. More on that  https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/80/t/64883

More than likely, your issue is core dumps. One or more of your daemons is crashing and leaving debugging information in /var/storage/cores . The steps to clean that up are outlined in this thread https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/53/t/33471
  • Salut, Connaisrien, and welcome to the User BB!

Instead of a rebuild, you can, as root from the command line, run: /etc/init.d/postgresql rebuild

EDIT 2016-07-12: IN newer versions, the command is /etc/init.d/postgresql92 rebuild

What size hard drive are you using?  If smaller than 60GB, you might want to change.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA