This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wich PCI-E W-Lan cards for UTM Home?

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hi,

Wich PCI-E W-Lan cards are compatible with UTM Home to use wireless protection?

Thanks in advance - Meghan

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • The card arrived today. I haven't had a chance to install it yet. In fact, this is my first Sophos box.  I'll be putting it together at the weekend and I'll definitely report back with my findings :)

• Hi, Jack, and welcome to the UTM Community, and your first interaction is helping out - awesome!

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for the warm welcome, Bob :)

OK, I've just installed 9.5 on my system. It's a small embedded device with the N3160 CPU and dual Intel NICs. Contrary to my expectation, I had no problems with an HDMI install. All hardware was recognised during the install except the WiFi card. Unfortunately, I can't set up the device fully today. I will do so at the weekend. Is it possible that the card will be recognised on initial boot?

• There's a known problem for built-in wireless.  From the command line, do cat /etc/modules and tell us the result.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I think I've discovered the problem. Due to an incorrect website listing, what I thought was a full-size PCIe slot is really a mSATA/PCIe combo slot. I have taken a chance and ordered a different (half-size mini PCIe) card. Apologies for the mistake.

• Bob, I have contacted Jetway, the manufacturer of my device, and I have been told that PCIe WiFi cards can be indeed be used in the mSATA slot. With that cleared up, I have done cat /etc/modules as suggested. The file only contains the line igb.

Thanks, Jack

• Meanwhile the Killer 1420 wifi NGFF card arrived. It's not good news that the card isn't recognized under UTM 9.5 in my ZOTAC 323. I'm not sure if it's an issue with ZOTAC or Sophos.

To test the card I installed it in my notebook and it's working. In windows device manager it identifies as PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_003C&CC_0280. So I'm feeling a little bit stuck.

Anyone with a success story?

Best

Alex

-

• Any update here?

Somebody found a card which is working with utm?

• Atheros AR5BXB92 will work.

You also have to edit the following by shell root access:

vi /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf-default

press [insert]

Search for and edit:

#ht_capab=[]

ht_capab=[HT40+][SHORT-GI-40][TX-STBC][RX-STBC1][DSSS_CCK-40]

press [insert] when done

type :wq for save & quit

Reboot the device