This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HA active/active, firewall rules stop working 8.202

We have some problems lately, some of our firewall rules stop working during the day, after a reboot of one of the astaro's or sometimes after like 4 hours they are suddenly working again.

Another question, what you see on the attachment (HA configured active-passive) both asg320 shows active. Is that correct?

I updated last week to 8.202, then above problem occurred, can i simple restore back to 8.103? (from automatic backup)

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I agree with point 1, NAT rules with addresses configured on the ASG must
    be bound to the correct host definitions and NOT to self created definitions.

But I don't get the second point with normal rules. Why to you think this won't work?
    The Interface Host definitions are used to see if rules belong to FORWARDING
    or the INPUT/OUTPUT chains. So as long as you don't want to allow traffic IN or OUT
    the ASG itself, binding a host definition to an interface should be fine...

I know that there are installations out there, which have WRONG wiring,
    e.g. an host is reachable via eth0 and eth1 and its random, which interface is chosen.
    But in that case the network design is broken, not the ASG [:)]

Cheers
     Ulrich
  • for point1, we dont use DNAT or SNAT.

And for your 2nd point, we have more then 60 rules with host/network definitions bound to an interface, and only 1 rule that give problems (that i know off) since 2 weeks and sometimes during the day.

• But I don't get the second point with normal rules. Why to you think this won't work?
    The Interface Host definitions are used to see if rules belong to FORWARDING
    or the INPUT/OUTPUT chains. So as long as you don't want to allow traffic IN or OUT
    the ASG itself, binding a host definition to an interface should be fine...

I agree, "should be fine" - but, it isn't always.  In fact, almost always, there's no advantage to binding definitions to an interface unless it's to fix a mistake.

I seem to recall a situation where someone had masqed a VPN Pool on the Internal interface to be able to reach an internal server.  But, you know iptables and I don't, so perhaps you can explain why it's always OK to bind to an interface.

I'm a math guy, so I always look to maximize the number of degrees of freedom - that would be enough justification for me to avoid resticting a definition to an interface.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Its just what you configure, there no magic or randomness here.

If you bind a SRC Host definition to an interface, then the traffic must be received from that interface.
    If you bind a DST Host definition to an interface, then the traffic must be send to that interface.

There are not VPN interfaces in WebAdmin, so you can't bind Host Definitions to VPN interfaces,
    so VPN traffic can't match here.

Also IPSec traffic going through an IPSec Tunnel will not match such Host definitions,
    even if they arrive or will be send via that interface. But thats not an technical issue,
    that was a design decision to be v7 compatible.

I think most issues related to Host Definitions happen, because the wiring is wrong,
    e.g. connection eth0 and eth1 to the same switch port and its random, which way
    packets are going... Thats probably the issue in that case too.

Why do people want that? Well its a "bit" more secure. However you can get the same effect
    by enabling the Spoofing Protection...

Cheers
     Ulrich

BTW: Since 8.200 its possible to disable that ARP requests
    for local IP addresses will be answered by all interfaces:
    "/usr/local/bin/confd-client.plx set interfaces advanced arp_ignore 1"
  • OK, so, do you agree that it's extremely, extremely rare that it's a good idea to bind a definition to an interface, and that it's more likely to cause problems for anyone that's not intimately familiar with iptables internals?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • No I didn't say that [[:)]] Its a kind of spoofing protection, but more granular.
    But like everywhere, if you increase the complexity the changes increase that
    something will break...

And I'm not saying that its our product [[:)]] You get what you configure.
    In above issue again, problem was, that two interface are connected to
    the same LAN segment and thats just a broken network setup...

Cheers
     Ulrich

It
  • Beheerder, what happens if you set 'Interface: >' in the definitions used in the firewall rule that stops working?  Or, did Ulrich look at your configuration and see that you had two interfaces connected to the same physical network?

Thanks, Ulrich.  I appreciate that explanation, and I understand a little better what's happening.  Nonetheless, for just about everyone outside of your group, certainly for those untutored in iptables internals, binding to an interface can lead to what they will perceive as unanticipated problems.  

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Yes, problem was with two network segments directly connect to each other.

I would like to change the default behavior with arp_ignore on our installations,
    to disable the announcement on all interfaces. So ARP requests are only
    answered if the IP address is configured on the Interface the ARP request
    was received. You can do this via command line since 8.200:
    "/usr/local/bin/confd-client.plx set interfaces advanced arp_ignore 1"

But thats the default behavior of the Linux Kernel, to answer ARP requests on
    all interfaces. And I bet, if we would change the default behavior, there will be
    as many people screaming that their setup stopped working as there are now,
    screaming that the packet filter rules wont work as expected [;)]

Cheers
     Ulrich
  • Ulrich, maybe you could comment on Always bind to >.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA