This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM Home RAM Limitation with 9.712-13 ?

Hi there!

Yesterday I installed a virtual UTM on VMWare (4vCPU, 4 GB RAM). After Login to the webinterface, only 3 GB of RAM was shown.

It´s ok, it only used 30 %. After activation virus scan and Webserverprotection it went up to 69%. So I wanted to increase the memory. I set it to 6GB but the UTM keeps showing 3 GB, also on the console:

gate:/root # cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        3114444 kB
MemFree:          230372 kB

Is it possible to increase the memory, or is there a limitation?

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • UTM doesn't have hardware limits, XG does. UTM has an IP address limitation of 50 IPs.  XG is limited to 6GB memory and one quad-core CPU.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• That´s good to hear, thanks for your quick answer!

So what do I have to do to make my UTM Installation "detect" more memory so I can use it?

• Well normally in the past, when you change hardware in a Linux environment, especially related to NICs, you would have to reinstall the system.  It's gotten a lot better with handling that aspect of hardware with the exception of the NIC.  Any time you change a NIC in that environment, there's no other clean solution than to reinstall.

I don't run my UTM in a VM environment and keep it as its own device, using VM for my backend servers.  Normally, you would see that as an issue with Windows and a 32-bit system.  The only thing that comes to mind is your install isn't utilizing a 64-bit installation, but that would normally relate to a Windows 32-bit install.  I don't recall Linux being affected by that.  You may have to enable DEP on your VM. If your hardware doesn't support that, you would have to have something like a /PAE switch command for the boot to see the memory.  I don't know what the switch command would be for Linux, but for Windows 32-bit systems, it was /PAE after the /fastboot switch in the boot.ini.

If you are 'hot adding' memory into a Linux 64-bit VM, or any Windows 32-bit VM, you can't do that. 

• Within my virtual environments (Hyper-V or Citrix-Xen) the VM use the added memory after a simple reboot.

Do you use some kind of memory-reservation/-sharing within vmware?

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Hi there, I´m not trying to hot add the memory. There is nothing like reservation or overprovisioning of RAM on my server. Other VMs (Windows, Debian, Rasbian) can handle RAM changes as you mentioned, simply by reboot.

So I think there has to be something special about the Sophos OS.

Any other ideas? If nothing else helps, I will just reinstall and restore a backup.

• Hey  , ensure you are running 64bit UTM !!

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Jagad | Team Lead, Global Support & Services 

Log a Support Case | Sophos Service Guide
    Best Practices – Support Case

Sophos Community | Product Documentation | Sophos Techvids | SMS
    If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Yeah just like I said in my original reply, the 64-bit version selection.  You should install that when prompted.

• You were right, too. But there has to be something special with Sophos. Normally a 32 bit Kernel is not limited to 3 GB.

• No, that is correct.  A 32-bit architecture OS only has enough address space for 4GB and it requires part of that total for communication with the devices and hardware in the system.  So in return, you are only allocated 3GB for memory space.  The other ~700MB or so, whatever the OS takes isn't available.  Windows acted the same way for 32-bit systems.  You didn't see it all the time in Linux, but it was definitely there.

• No, that is correct.  A 32-bit architecture OS only has enough address space for 4GB and it requires part of that total for communication with the devices and hardware in the system.  So in return, you are only allocated 3GB for memory space.  The other ~700MB or so, whatever the OS takes isn't available.  Windows acted the same way for 32-bit systems.  You didn't see it all the time in Linux, but it was definitely there.

Children
No Data