This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM Home RAM Limitation with 9.712-13 ?

Hi there!

Yesterday I installed a virtual UTM on VMWare (4vCPU, 4 GB RAM). After Login to the webinterface, only 3 GB of RAM was shown.

It´s ok, it only used 30 %. After activation virus scan and Webserverprotection it went up to 69%. So I wanted to increase the memory. I set it to 6GB but the UTM keeps showing 3 GB, also on the console:

gate:/root # cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        3114444 kB
MemFree:          230372 kB

Is it possible to increase the memory, or is there a limitation?

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • UTM doesn't have hardware limits, XG does. UTM has an IP address limitation of 50 IPs.  XG is limited to 6GB memory and one quad-core CPU.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• That´s good to hear, thanks for your quick answer!

So what do I have to do to make my UTM Installation "detect" more memory so I can use it?

• Well normally in the past, when you change hardware in a Linux environment, especially related to NICs, you would have to reinstall the system.  It's gotten a lot better with handling that aspect of hardware with the exception of the NIC.  Any time you change a NIC in that environment, there's no other clean solution than to reinstall.

I don't run my UTM in a VM environment and keep it as its own device, using VM for my backend servers.  Normally, you would see that as an issue with Windows and a 32-bit system.  The only thing that comes to mind is your install isn't utilizing a 64-bit installation, but that would normally relate to a Windows 32-bit install.  I don't recall Linux being affected by that.  You may have to enable DEP on your VM. If your hardware doesn't support that, you would have to have something like a /PAE switch command for the boot to see the memory.  I don't know what the switch command would be for Linux, but for Windows 32-bit systems, it was /PAE after the /fastboot switch in the boot.ini.

If you are 'hot adding' memory into a Linux 64-bit VM, or any Windows 32-bit VM, you can't do that. 

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Within my virtual environments (Hyper-V or Citrix-Xen) the VM use the added memory after a simple reboot.

Do you use some kind of memory-reservation/-sharing within vmware?

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Within my virtual environments (Hyper-V or Citrix-Xen) the VM use the added memory after a simple reboot.

Do you use some kind of memory-reservation/-sharing within vmware?

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

Children