This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Help with Install, Hardware list enclosed

Hello all,

I purchased the following and when I try to install latest UTM version, all I get is a cursor (non blinking) and never starts, nada...  Can someone tell me what bonehead thing I've done?  

Gigabyte b460m motherboard 

I3 10th gen CPU

G Skill AEGIS 8GB SDRAM PC4-25600 DDR4

Crucial 120GB SSD

I have never been able to even get the OS to install using both USB and DVD media, I removed the drive from an old laptop and installed my crucial drive and installed worked without issue, I reinstalled the HD into the desktop I built and no response, the cursor just sits, no blinking no nothing?  I "ASSumed" evidently incorrectly that it would install on what I would consider pretty good hardware?  Any thoughts or ideas? Did I just royally screw up with my hardware selection?  Hardware is the only difference and I can't quite work out why?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • please make sure you are not trying to boot UEFI, boot legacy, then try it all again.

Also can you boot Linux normally, no UEFI?

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• Hi and thanks for the response.  I tried both boot options and no go.   Will try to reborn an image for Ubuntu and try again...  I just don’t get it so odd, must be my hardware selection is all I can think of.   I pulled my intel 4 port card as well to try and install and nothing then either...

• check all possible options for uefi and secure boot, etc.

plane legacy boot is necessary for ALL drives. some bios are offering both, uefi AND legacy for compatibility, but this is crap.

Also check the boot order for all recognized drives and channels, etc.

• Yea, this was less than fun.  I tried many options with no luck, I just returned it all and swapped to a protectli box, which seemed to just "work"...  Thanks all!

• Thanks for coming back and sharing.  You might also want to add a post about what didn't and did work to *Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA