This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Upgrade Memory UTM220

Hello,

The white boxes of UTM220 support what maximum amount of memory? What type (DDR2, DDR3)? [:S]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • yes but again just because the specs are similar doesn't mean it's the exact same thing..[[:)]]  What it comes down to is folks need to lean on their partners and the partners will in turn lean on sophos.  I've already talked to my channel manager on multiple occasions about making 4 gigs the minimum...the more partners and users who speak up that's when things will change..[[:)]]

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• A modern dual core celeron cpu is 64 bit compatible..[:)]  Ram limitations are on the chipset level not the cpu level.

Other addons to follow

• A modern dual core celeron cpu is 64 bit compatible..[:)]  Ram limitations are on the chipset level not the cpu level.

Yes you are correct about the CPU and that their can be hardware limitations (like an atom CPU only allowing 2GB ram)

however the hardware iso will not allow you to install on a 220 with 4GB. As a result with 2GB RAM it only installs the 32bit kernel which prevents it from addressing higher than 4gb. Therefore 4GB is the max recognised usable amount.
  • That's a software limitation by sophos...[:)]  You can install using the software iso..i prefer 64 bit anyway to memory paging inside of 32 bit to crack anything above 3.2 gigs in a 32 bit system.

Other addons to follow

• actually newer atoms are 64 bit and run with 4 gigs of ram just fine...[:)]

Other addons to follow

• Yes maybe (I haven't researched newer atoms). However the Intel specs for the atom that sophos use in the 110/120 only supports 2GB.

I run 4GB on all our 220 UTM and it more than surfices for our 90 or so users with an average 50% or lower ram usage and 0% page 

I have contacted sophos Support on a few occasions and they have never asked about the extra ram. And won't probably because the software sophos makes supports such a wide range of hardware and support focuses more on the actual logs etc
  • @William

The ASG200 is exactly that board from Nexcom.
    The manufacturer and type are printed on the PCB.
    But Sophos has ordered Nexcom not to assembly some parts so it becomes cheaper.
  • however the hardware iso will not allow you to install on a 220 with 4GB. As a result with 2GB RAM it only installs the 32bit kernel which prevents it from addressing higher than 4gb. Therefore 4GB is the max recognised usable amount.

Who said that?

You are right that the hardware ISO won't install if you have non-certified RAM installed. But it's not a problem to upgrade after the installation.

As far as I know, the default setup is 64bit everytime, even if you have only 1GB of RAM.
    So you can install with the original RAM and upgrade afterwards to 4GB RAM.

I did this with my ASG220 rev.4 about 10 Minutes ago with 1GB RAM just to be sure, and it runs fine on 64bit. So what you say about the 32bit kernel is definitely wrong, I'm sorry.

cu,
      Dino
  • FYI, 
    uname -a

will show which kernel (32 or 64-bit) is installed and running, just to be sure.

Barry
  • So what you say about the 32bit kernel is definitely wrong, I'm sorry.

My bad I thought the default install was 32bit... as when you go through the software version is recommended to use 32bit if you have troubles - so I thought this was the default install. Thanks for clearing that up.