This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos disables eth0

I installed Sophos UTM 9.5 Home on a PC. During setup I set eth1 as LAN. After the installation finished I browsed to the web interface and found out that for some reason eth0 which is connected to WAN was down.

For some reason Sophos disabled eth0. To confirm this I simply unplugged the ethernet cable from eth0, and plugged it on my ubiquity router and it had activity. Plugged it back to the PC on eth0, and it was dead.

So I formatted the PC again and tried the 32bit version of Sophos UTM and had the same result. So this time I formatted the PC again and installed pfsense. Both LAN & WAN was just fine. 

So this is definitely an issue with Sophos.

Anyone faced this issue before? Any workarounds? 

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Geiasou Aristos and welcome to the UTM Community!

You didn't mention what NICs you have - read through #7 in Rulz to get an idea of which are known to be troublesome for the UTM.  You might look at the newer posts in *Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) for an idea of what hardware others have chosen.

In any case, you should use the 64-bit version.

The "culture" here is to use eth0 for the LAN and eth1 for the WAN.  The UTM assigns eth# based on the alphabetic name of the NIC.  If you have only two NICs you can change the assignment at the command line.  As root

# edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Save the file and restart the UTM so that the new order is loaded.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Geiasou Aristos and welcome to the UTM Community!

You didn't mention what NICs you have - read through #7 in Rulz to get an idea of which are known to be troublesome for the UTM.  You might look at the newer posts in *Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) for an idea of what hardware others have chosen.

In any case, you should use the 64-bit version.

The "culture" here is to use eth0 for the LAN and eth1 for the WAN.  The UTM assigns eth# based on the alphabetic name of the NIC.  If you have only two NICs you can change the assignment at the command line.  As root

# edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Save the file and restart the UTM so that the new order is loaded.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data