SIP Proxy Functionality?

I am currently using the free software version of UTM 9.

I was wondering if the product is capable (through licensing options) to provide SIP proxy functionality?  Essentially what I have is a SIP server behind a NAT that needs to communicate externally.  I need the SIP conversations to include my public IP, not the server's internal IP.

If this can be done through the "VOIP" section under "Network Protection", what do I need to purchase to enable that option?
  • Hi, jpalarchio, and welcome to the User BB!

The VoIP Proxy is included in the Network Protection subscription.  It sounds like it's time to talk with a reseller about pricing and how a UTM could fit in your business.

Having said that, you can use NAT to accomplish your goal.  The standard 'Internal (Network) -> External' masq rule will send packets with the public IP instead of the internal IP of the server.  A NAT rule like 'DNAT : {VoIP Provider} -> VoIP Protocols -> External (Address) : to {server}' would let your provider route calls to your server.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi, jpalarchio, and welcome to the User BB!

The VoIP Proxy is included in the Network Protection subscription.  It sounds like it's time to talk with a reseller about pricing and how a UTM could fit in your business.

Having said that, you can use NAT to accomplish your goal.  The standard 'Internal (Network) -> External' masq rule will send packets with the public IP instead of the internal IP of the server.  A NAT rule like 'DNAT : {VoIP Provider} -> VoIP Protocols -> External (Address) : to {server}' would let your provider route calls to your server.

Cheers - Bob

Thanks for the feedback.  This is actually all for just my home lab environment that I use for training so budget is always of concern.  I know it can't all be free but I also need to find the most cost effective solution for my minimal usage.

I'm doing a DNAT and SNAT today which gets the signaling packets to the SIP provider but when I trace the packets, the SIP headers within the packets still show my internal IP which results in one-way audio.  My understanding is that I need SIP proxy functionality that will essentially modify those headers with the external IP.

Is the VoIP proxy capable of providing this functionality?
  • If you're doing this at home, and not for commercial use, the Essentials license is not what you want.

You can get a free home-use license on My.Astaro.com.  Just obtain that, and upload the new license on your current install.  The only missing functionality is clustering, a limit to 50 IPs and the ability to customize messages and popups where "Home License" can't be removed.  Other than that, you have the ability to work with all of the items.

Many of my techy clients have set up a UTM at home to keep their kids off p0rn sites and limit gaming time to after homework is done. [;)]

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I switched over my license to the home version for now and the VoIP feature did in fact fix my SIP issue.

The reason I avoided the home version before was the 50 IPs is something I could see getting close to.  When you consider every DVR, DVD, TV and phone in the house has an IP, not to mention everything else, they start to add up.

How do I go about finding pricing on the VoIP feature should I decide to use the non-home version?
  • Hi, You'd need a "Network Security" License to include the VOIP security features.
    For over 50 IPs, you'd need the 100IP license. The pricing is probably high for home use.
    You can get a quote from a reseller; Locate a Partner

BTW, Astaro sometimes gives away 100-IP home user licenses during their Beta programs to active testers; the next Beta (9.1) is due to start soon.

Barry