Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

SIP Proxy Functionality?

I am currently using the free software version of UTM 9.

I was wondering if the product is capable (through licensing options) to provide SIP proxy functionality?  Essentially what I have is a SIP server behind a NAT that needs to communicate externally.  I need the SIP conversations to include my public IP, not the server's internal IP.

If this can be done through the "VOIP" section under "Network Protection", what do I need to purchase to enable that option?
Parents
  • Hi, jpalarchio, and welcome to the User BB!

The VoIP Proxy is included in the Network Protection subscription.  It sounds like it's time to talk with a reseller about pricing and how a UTM could fit in your business.

Having said that, you can use NAT to accomplish your goal.  The standard 'Internal (Network) -> External' masq rule will send packets with the public IP instead of the internal IP of the server.  A NAT rule like 'DNAT : {VoIP Provider} -> VoIP Protocols -> External (Address) : to {server}' would let your provider route calls to your server.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA

The VoIP Proxy is included in the Network Protection subscription.  It sounds like it's time to talk with a reseller about pricing and how a UTM could fit in your business.

Having said that, you can use NAT to accomplish your goal.  The standard 'Internal (Network) -> External' masq rule will send packets with the public IP instead of the internal IP of the server.  A NAT rule like 'DNAT : {VoIP Provider} -> VoIP Protocols -> External (Address) : to {server}' would let your provider route calls to your server.

Cheers - Bob

Thanks for the feedback.  This is actually all for just my home lab environment that I use for training so budget is always of concern.  I know it can't all be free but I also need to find the most cost effective solution for my minimal usage.

I'm doing a DNAT and SNAT today which gets the signaling packets to the SIP provider but when I trace the packets, the SIP headers within the packets still show my internal IP which results in one-way audio.  My understanding is that I need SIP proxy functionality that will essentially modify those headers with the external IP.

Is the VoIP proxy capable of providing this functionality?

Cheers - Bob

Thanks for the feedback.  This is actually all for just my home lab environment that I use for training so budget is always of concern.  I know it can't all be free but I also need to find the most cost effective solution for my minimal usage.

I'm doing a DNAT and SNAT today which gets the signaling packets to the SIP provider but when I trace the packets, the SIP headers within the packets still show my internal IP which results in one-way audio.  My understanding is that I need SIP proxy functionality that will essentially modify those headers with the external IP.

Is the VoIP proxy capable of providing this functionality?
Children
No Data