Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

Which Virtual Appliance Download variant to use?

I'm running VMware vSphere 5, with ESXi 5 hosts.  I want to run the Essential Business Edition to route between a vSwitch without NICs and a vSwitch with NICs.

This is what I'm presented with from the link in the E-mail:
utm-9.003-esx-v4-x64-smp.zip
utm-9.003-esx-v4-x86-smp.zip
utm-9.003-esx-v5-x64-smp.zip
utm-9.003-esx-v5-x86-smp.zip
utm-9.003-vmware-x64-smp.zip
utm-9.003-vmware-x86-smp.zip

I'd like to know how I should decide which download link I should use.

Does the "ESX" zip exclusively for ESX hosts, or does it include "ESXi" hosts?  Is the "VMWARE" zip for VMware Workstation?

Should I use the x64 or the x86 zip?

Thanks.

Brian
Parents
  • If you want to use the prebuilt VM images, and are running ESX (or ESXi) 4.x, use the esx-v4 image (I recommend the 64 bit one)... if you are using ESXi 5.x, use the esx-v5 image.  The other vmware images are for VMware Server, older ESX versions, and older versions of Workstation, etc.

However, I have always done a clean install from ISO (use the software appliance ISO) onto our ESXi hosts...

Note that if you elect to use one of the prebuilt images, change the NIC type to E1000 or VMXNET 3 (or 2), for some reason the prebuilt images come preconfigured with NIC type "Flexible" which is poor in performance -- at least they used to, I haven't used a prebult image in a very long time.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• If you want to use the prebuilt VM images, and are running ESX (or ESXi) 4.x, use the esx-v4 image (I recommend the 64 bit one)... if you are using ESXi 5.x, use the esx-v5 image.  The other vmware images are for VMware Server, older ESX versions, and older versions of Workstation, etc.

However, I have always done a clean install from ISO (use the software appliance ISO) onto our ESXi hosts...

Note that if you elect to use one of the prebuilt images, change the NIC type to E1000 or VMXNET 3 (or 2), for some reason the prebuilt images come preconfigured with NIC type "Flexible" which is poor in performance -- at least they used to, I haven't used a prebult image in a very long time.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

Children