Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Virtual or Physical installation

We are investigating the deployment of Astaro and would like to know what others think regarding running Astaro either in a virtual machine or on physical hardware.

Currently we have a Dell R710 with 16 NICs that we want to use as our Astaro server - with some NICs bonded together. Astaro can either be installed directly onto the server or installed on top of VMware ESXi 5.

We were wondering what thoughts people might have on this? Should we simply deploy Astaro directly on the box or is virtualisation the way to go? We won't be running anything else on the machine - it will be dedicated to Astaro.

If we go the physical route, has anyone had any experiences with installing Astaro on Dell hardware - good or bad in terms of hardware compatibility? The same would go for a virtual machine?

If we were to deploy to a virtual machine, does the ESXi image of Astaro support ESXi 5 - the only documentation I've found talks about ESXi 3? Or would we do an installation from the ISO?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I use ASG 8.300 under esxi 5.0 and it works very well.  I recommend using the e1000 NIC and definitely install vmware tools.  I would not bother with the vmware template, just do a virtual install via ISO.
  • For my primary perimeter firewall / security gateway, I would deploy the ASG directly on the Hardware, for two reasons:

1)  Optimal Performance:  ESXi is great, but you will pay a slight to moderate performance penalty (depending on configuration and hardware) for deploying a system "on top" of it.

2)  Maximum Security:  Again, ESXi is great (we use it internally, and are a reseller / var for VMware) and is pretty secure, but it's just one more unknown in the mix when used in a perimeter firewall.  That said, there are a lot of deployments of the ASG directly, as a perimeter security system, on top of VMware (or other virtualization platforms) with no reported issues.

All that said, the plusses for VMware installations are:
    1)   Ease of recovery in the event of a host failure -- just load the VM up on another host.
    2)   Scalability:  You can easily add more instances for load balancing or HA.

In the end, it sort of is a matter of personal preference.

As for how I would deploy ASG on VMware:
    1)  I would not use the preconfigured ESXi image that Astaro has out there for download.  It's great for demos, but I like the control of installing from scratch into a VM... It does work just fine on ESXi 5.0.
    2)  To create a VM to install into, use the following settings:
         a)  Guest OS: Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 (64-bit)
         b)  Memory:  As much as you can give it ... A SMB-sized business needs at least 2GB, more is better.
         c)  CPU:  at least 2 cores, I generally use 2 "physical" CPUs with one core apiece, but you can play with this.
         d)  SCSI Controller:  LSI Logic Parallel
         e)  IDE CD for installation ISO
         f)   HD:  Can be whatever size you'd like, I suggest 80GB as a minimum.  ONE HD only!  Thin Provisioning is OK for systems where there's lighter usage, not much HTTP Caching going on... for heavier use, Thick Provisioning is recommended.
         g)  Network Adapter(s):  As many as you like (at least 2), Type should be E1000.

That's it... when you install the ISO, it will detect that it is in a VM and it will install the appropriate drivers, etc. and will use the built-in VMware Tools... note that you cannot manually update them from vCenter, etc. you will need to stick with the built-in tools, which are updated from time to time as part of the Astaro "firmware" up2date process.

Oh, and you asked about hardware compatibility... you can check out the HCL at http://support.astaro.com --- in general, Intel-based systems will all work, and most regular HD controllers will work fine, and most NICs (Intel-based ones preferred).  Note that many RAID controllers are not supported... if you want to use one of these, make sure it's on the HCL, or it likely will not work.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• ...anyone are using the virtual appliance with ESXi 4.1 and distributed switch (nexus 1000v)?

we came from a long period of using the Astaro virtual appliance running on a vSpere system with ESX 4.0 using standard switch and all has worked very well with big satisfaction.

We moved our environment to a more complex configuration with cisco UCS blade as ESXi hosts, nexus fabric interconnect and vmware distributed switch.....
    What is happening now is that the network performance of the Astaro virtual appliance doesn't work well (reliability problem) when the firewall forwards the packets of a virtual machine behind the firewall to another network device and both the firewall and the virtual machine is executing on the same ESXi host.

Now we are investigating with our cisco partner to understand if there is a network configuration problem or a bug...

I let you know.....