This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

AP50 and AP100 expected throughput

Hey guys,
I know this topic has come up several times, but usually it's related to firmware or something similar. I just want to know what's "normal" for AP50/AP100 throughput.

Negotiated speed shown in UTM web interface is 866Mbit. Currently max test ed speed I'm getting on an AP100 is ~75 Mbits/sec. Same for AP50's. This is tested with iperf. Over my Gbit connection with the same iperf setup I get 975+ Mbits/sec.

All AP's are running through gigabit ethernet, showing as 1000 full duplex on the switches. They are bridged to their own VLAN with no throttling that I'm aware of.

Maybe I'm missing some type of config on the switch ports? Jumbo frames? MTU settings? idk, grasping at straws trying to figure out why I can't even get close to the "866 mbit" speed.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,
    not sure where you are getting your AP50 figures from? The 5ghz channel on an AP will give 300mb/s and the 2.4ghz will also give 300mb/s.
    You need to change the config to use 40mkz ht channels in lieu of the default 20mz ht channels. There is a sticky on how to change the settings at the top of this forum.

Ian M
  • Hey Ian,
    Thanks for the reply and info. Yep, I actually do have my AP50's set on the 40Mhz channel width and running an exclusive 5Ghz SSID.

If you take a look at the included image. The negotiated speed is 270Mbps. It shows this in the network info on my PC and in the AP info on the UTM.

The actual throughput is only 91Mbps.

When you say "300Mbps" is that a measured speed, or is that based off of specs for the device?

--------------------
    Private: 1 Mini ITX (EMB-CV1), Atom D2550 1.86 GHz Dual Core CPU, 8GB RAM, UTM 9.3 Home License, AP100
    Business: 2 UTM320 in HA (Active/Passive), Full Guard, 7 AP50's, 1 AP100

• Hi Joel,
    mine do show at 300mb/s on the UTM and I have got way better then 90mb/s throughput. I will try again and report back.

Ian M

Currently copying a 66gb folder between mac mini and mac book pro. UTM shows mac book pro connected at 300mb/s. The throughput shown by the mac book pro is between 19.0MB/s and 26.5MB/s which works out around 200mb/s. Given the overheads of wifi I doubt you would get the 300mb/s as actual data throughput.
  • Unfortunately, copying a file is different that measuring throughput with iperf.

With iperf, you should get the actual possible bandwidth your equipment is capable of.
    https://iperf.fr/

Sophos has a known issue with AP100's currently. I have a ticket open with them. I'm still curious about the ap50's which are supposed to have 300Mbits/s. I'd love more info directly from sophos on these topics, but that might prove hard to come by.

--------------------
    Private: 1 Mini ITX (EMB-CV1), Atom D2550 1.86 GHz Dual Core CPU, 8GB RAM, UTM 9.3 Home License, AP100

• Hi,
    tonight I tested iperf throughput.
    Environment
    1/. Source small office server 2012 running on a VM esxi5.5
    2/. destination windows 10 beta running on a e3-1240v3
    3/. Sophos AP 50 ssid 5.0ghz
    4/. USB wifi on Windows 10 PC
    5/. AP part of VLAN

Performance
    best
    UTM reported W10 PC connected at 240Mb/s
    transferred 320Mbytes at 89.5Mbits/sec.

Because of the design of the room where the AP is located, it is semi rf shielded and I am unable to connect at 300Mb/s.

Tomorrow morning when the rest of the house is asleep I will extend the AP to the room where the PC is located and run the tests again.

I know I can get better throughput than that.

Ian M
  • Max I've ever gotten was 103 Mbit  per second. 
    Ap 50
    Windows 7 client, AC wireless
    Window 2008 server
    Gigabit switch with jumbo frames

--------------------

• More results.
    The AP 50 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz bands are set to 40mhz channels.
    On 5ghz SSID.
    The maximum throughput was 140Mbits/sec, not repeatable.
    Repeatable was 120Mbits/s
    On 2.4hz SSID
    Maximum throughput was 69Mbits/s, though various network monitors did show peaks over over 75Mbits/s.

Ran most tests for 60s with window of 2000k
    -t 60 -w 2000k

I tried various test to see if I could locate the bottleneck.
    The LAN (VM server) to LAN (parallels W7) throughput reported over 800Mbits/s.

The server and the W7 machines are all virtual. The W10 machine is a physical machine.

Ian M

L3 switch is a Netgear 716
  • So you were getting good measurements through your gigabit switch.

One additional thing you can try with iperf is a parrallel test.
    "iperf.exe -c  -P 8"

That get's me the full 1gig physical connection speed.

Doesn't do much for my wifi however.

--------------------

• Found the bottleneck. The wifi card is a usb3 device plugged into a usb2.0 port.

I will change it to a usb 3 port and repeat the tests.

Ian
  • Hi,
    changed the wifi dongle so it is connected tot a USB 3.0 port. Wifi dongle is about a metre away from the AP50. The UTM is passing the traffic between the wifi seperate zone and the vlan using packet filtering.

Running iperf defaults I can achieve about 95Mb/s throughput.
    Using larger t values I can achieve about 120Mb/s throughput
    Using -t60 -P15 I can achieve 163Mb/s throughput.
     In summary using -P 10, -W 1900k and -t 120 I was consistently achieving over 150Mb/s throughput.

Somewhere in my distant past I used ot believe rightly or wrongly that wifi throughout was about 50% of the advertised value and so far with my testing on the Sophos AP50 that agrees.

Ian M