Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Authentication problem with User Portal

Hi
Got a strange problem with the user portal.  When I login as me, I get and error.  If I login as another user, it works ok.  I know my credentials work as I am able to login via PPPTP VPN.

Here are the entries from the log files: -
2013:02:01-11:17:34 firewall aua[4065]: id="3006" severity="info" sys="System" sub="auth" name="Trying ***.***.***141 (radius)"

2013:02:01-11:17:34 firewall aua[4065]: id="3006" severity="info" sys="System" sub="auth" name="Trying ***.***.***1 (adirectory)"
2013:02:01-11:17:36 firewall aua[4065]: id="3006" severity="info" sys="System" sub="auth" name="could not set object for andrew: ALREADY_IN_USE_OBJECT"
2013:02:01-11:17:36 firewall aua[4065]: id="3006" severity="info" sys="System" sub="auth" name="failed to set object"
2013:02:01-11:17:36 firewall aua[2983]: Use of uninitialized value $ref in pattern match (m//) at aua.pl line 752,  line 466.
2013:02:01-11:17:36 firewall aua[4065]: id="3005" severity="warn" sys="System" sub="auth" name="Authentication failed" srcip="***.***.***.***" user="andrew" caller="portal" reason="DENIED"
2013:02:01-11:17:45 firewall aua[4073]: id="3006" severity="info" sys="System" sub="auth" name="Trying ***.***.***141 (radius)"
2013:02:01-11:17:45 firewall aua[4073]: id="3006" severity="info" sys="System" sub="auth" name="Trying ***.***.***1 (adirectory)"
2013:02:01-11:17:47 firewall aua[4073]: id="3004" severity="info" sys="System" sub="auth" name="Authentication successful" srcip="***.***.***.***" user="julie" caller="portal" engine="adirectory"

Running version 9.004-34.

Any help/suggestions would be welcome.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I manually added myself as a remotely authenticated user and it's now working.  odd...
  • What do you mean - what were you before?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • My system was set to automatically create users that don't exist the fist time they authenticate Bob.

So when it was failing for my login, I didn't exist but the logs seem to think I did  exist.

The user that worked regardless was created automatically and never had any problems.
  • OK, so my guess is that you had already created a Local user for yourself and that you limited Portal User access to an AD-Security-Group-based Backend Group.  Was that it?  If so, I bet it functions as designed, and I think this is a conceptual bug that should be reported via a Support ticket.  

Cheers - Bob

Sorry for any short responses!  Posted from my iPhone.

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Nope Bob - my user account of 'andrew' did not exist anywhere in the system.

When I first set the system up, I created a local account for me for testing but deleted it when I set up AD integration.

Searching the backup file in a text editor, I can see my e-mail address exists in the backup but it's not visible anywhere through the web-config so maybe my account wasn't totally deleted and when the automatic creation tried, it found my e-mail address and threw a wobbly and failed.
  • Thanks for responding, Andrew,

Yup, that's the kind of thing I guessed might have happened - the email address is indeed the key issue for it to decline to create a user.  Was the other part of my guess right - that you had limited User Portal access to an AD-Security-Group-based Backend Group?  Or, did you just leave it open to any authenticated user?

If you have a commercial license, you can report this via a support ticket.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I'm on a freebie home user license Bob so no support for me [:(]
  • OK.  If you'll respond to my question in Post #7, I'll report it.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hey Bob - the portal was set to allow all users.

Do you know how to clean up the backend database to remove records/e-mail addresses that are no longer in use?

Thanks for following this up with Sophos on my behalf.
  • If the accounts have been created on the ASG, Go to Definitions & Users>>Users & Groups>>Users Tab.  Find the account that is no longer in use, click on the delete button for that account.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1