Customers might be unable to connect with us via the Sophos Malaysia Support Hotline number. Our teams are actively working on a fix. In the interim, we request customers to use the backup hotline number - +65 3157 5922 (Singapore) or raise a support request at https://support.sophos.com/.

Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Remote reboot of a RED - How??

I am unable to find any solution on how to reboot a RED unit.

I have found how to switch off the interface via the GUI, and also the ideas page for this feature.

but am unable to find any article about how to reboot the physical device unless it is unplugged at source.

any help appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Does toggling the enabled/disable button for the RED under RED Management > [Server] Client Management cause a reboot?  

Tim

• this only disables the interface, and doesn't reboot the RED15. :(

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• Darn.  I don't see there being an easy way to reboot them then, other then disabling the service as a whole, unplugging the power from the device or making a configuration change.  Alternatively you could login to the UTM via SSH, get the REF_ number of the red ( cc > red > servers@ ) and then enable debugging of the RED ( OBJS > REF_ > debug_level=1 > w ).  This should force a reboot in order for the RED to enter debug mode.  Of course this would depend on your comfort with navigating the cc in the backend.  

Tim

• Hi Tim,

thanks for the info, although i am comfortable with the back-end, I was unable to see anyway of rebooting the device, unless it was to remove the power completely!

I did see the Ideas section asking for this option seems like even the XG does not have this feature, so might be a good option to have.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• TimHansen said:
    order for the RED to enter debug mode.

Tim, can you explain how to access this debug information? i have problem with a RED15 that become unreachable. RED Tunnel LED is green, but UTM lost the connection. Only way is to cycle power the RED.

• Thomas, if the RED is unreachable from the UTM, likely it won't receive the command to go into debug mode and thus won't restart.  But feel free to give this a try.  

In shell on the UTM:

cc
    OBJS
    itfhw
    red_server
    REF_<red experiencing issue> (eg. REF_ItfRedReds1Red50)
    debug_level = 1
    w

Tim

• thats clear, but were can I read the debug information? in the UTM RED log?

• Thomas, enabling debugging on the RED won't enable any verbose logging on the UTM for the end user, it's just used by Sophos in the event we need to remote into the RED.  

Tim

• Tim, I'm more comfortable doing things like this at the command line instead of inside cc...

Say you have a RED named Berlin and you want to get its REF:

cc get_object_by_name itfhw red_server 'Berlin'|grep \'ref

That would give you an answer like:

'ref' => 'REF_ItfRedReds1Berlin'

Now you can enable debug with:

cc change_object REF_ItfRedReds1Berlin debug_level 1

To disable debugging:

cc change_object REF_ItfRedReds1Berlin debug_level 0

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG