This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

64 bit Install vs 32 bit Install ?

I'm running a 64 bit capable system, but I installed the 32 bit UTM software.
Is there any real advantage to the 64 bit system ? I'm sure this is an age old question.
I'm fairly new to working with UTM, and am having a little difficulty with some of the settings; I'm just protecting 4 PC's and several  other wired and wireless devices (iPads, iPhones, SmartTV, Dish). When we initially got Dish, WiFi wasn't near as good as it is now, hence I ran a long cable to avoid problems.
I'm sure I'll get through most of the hurdles when I do more reading of the manual which I actually printed out. I realize there are many nice features built into UTM that I probably won't really need. 
All comments and/or advice appreciated.
Thank you.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi and welcome,
    very simple answer, 32 bit 4gb ram max, 64 bit as much ram as you can fit in your system.

4gb is the minimum you really need, but 6 to 8 gb make the system sing a little and allows room for newer functions.

ian
  • Hi and welcome,
    very simple answer, 32 bit 4gb ram max, 64 bit as much ram as you can fit in your system.

4gb is the minimum you really need, but 6 to 8 gb make the system sing a little and allows room for newer functions.

ian

because of the 4 gig limit on 32 bit systems if you ahve 4 gigs installed you will see anywhere between 3 and 3.8 gigs available due to on motherboard caches, cpu cache, and video ram all being tallied into the total system memory..which rolls the counter over and you begin loosing available ram.  So for any system over 3 gigs you must use 64 bit to get full utilization.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Thanks for the replies. Man, was I not thinking on that one [:)] ! I have 8GB installed, so I may reinstall later with the 64bit software. Things are working fine at this point though, and with the light load I have, I may just stay with the 32bit.