This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[BUG][8.103] Installation: "Failed to partition device /dev/sda/"

Hi guys,

trying to build me an IPX box for ASG here.

• Dual-Core Atom N550 board with 2xGbit NIC - Jetway JNC9C-550-LF 
  • Mini ITX caes - Jetway ADD-ON 3x GigaLAN 
  • 2GB RAM (bought 4 when I realized, the board only handles 2 [:(] )
  • 500GB 2,5" WD that I had lying around

I then got me the "latest" ASG iso here:
ftp://ftp.astaro.com/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/software_appliance/iso/
... and burned it to a DVD/CD. 
Hooked up an external USB-DVD drive to the IPX box and bootet up.

When I follow the installation procedure it detects the four Intel Atom N550 threads as CPUs, the WDC WD5000 2,5" hdd, the DVD Drive and the two network cards properly. I hit ok, chose keyboard layout, location, leave date and time, pick eth0 and set an IP for the interface. I then pick the 64bit kernel since it is being offered. After that I choose "install all capabilities" and ....

THEN it tells me that during the next step it will erase all existing data on /dev/sda (the harddrive) and I hit "yes" to proceed: ---> error "failed to partition device /dev/sda/"
The log says:

bootstrap: START screen 'inst_part'

bootstrap: MBR wiped
bootstrap: part.c:453: ERROR: Error: gpt disk labels do not support extended partitions
bootstrap: ERROR: Failed to partition device /dev/sda
bootstrap: END screen 'inst_part'
bootstrap: END task 'installation'
bootstrap: START task 'fail'
bootstrap: START screen 'fail'

what am I doing wrong? Greatful for any advice. It has been years since I worked linux and I'm neither sure what the log means nor what I could do about it.

thanks guys
Andy

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • It doesn't seem to like the partitions on the disk;
    Nuke them with DBAN or RIP-Linux or similar tool.

This should probably be filed as a bug in the installer though.

Barry
  • Let us know if it works after deleting the partition table.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • It doesn't seem to like the partitions on the disk

I figured the same and thought the GUID partition table (drive from a mac) might have something to do with it so I popped in a win install disc and flattened the partitioning with that.
    Worked there, didn't work for the astaro installer. 
    I just now tried flattening whatever is there with OSX. Drive works fine there, re-partitioning is no problem. Yet, still the same error during the ASG installation.

Tried another drive (SSD). No chance, same error. It's getting late... getting tired of it and don't have another idea right now ^^.

edit:
    ok, you got me burning a DBAN disc atm. Doesn't help that they "lost" the quickstart guide... (http://www.dban.org/quickstart)  .... I'll see in a sec
  • I had a similar issue while trying to install with the 8.102 ISO, the solution (dirty and fast) was to install with the 8.003 ISO and then do the updates ... I'll wait for the 8.200 ISO to give it another try.
  • great and here I am realizing just now that this DBAN wipe will take 12 hours or something.... sorry... no way... 

edit:
    killed the DBAN wipe-process, then rebootet with ASG disc again... it found only one network card this time. Lmao. Rebooting didn't help. 
    ... now I'm completely lost. Quitting DBAN has killed a NIC on the mainboard? Resetting the BIOS did help.
  • Uhh... at the first boot screen, right after the machine boots with the CD in it... at the boot: prompt, enter "classic" (no quotes) and press enter.  On some hardware, I've had to resort to this to get an install to complete.

No need to run DBAN on a disk to clear the partitions... try "gparted".

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• thx Brucek,

but the started and then aborted (at 3%)  DBAN wipe apparently did the trick too (even though I had to reset the BIOS to get the second NIC back)....  It is formatting right now.

edit:
    ASG has been installed, but the harddrive or the system seems insanely slow. The bootup takes like 10 minutes and seems to be interrupted every 20 secons for one minute or so.

edit2:
    I don't trust that disk, the machine is WAY too slow, trying an SSD now, yet same error. How to delete those partitions with "gparted" ... is there no way to do so manually in the console of the ASG installation?
  • Nah, download gparted from the .net and run it from CD.

However, I don't think that's the problem, sounds like the hard disk may be going bad.  Check your Kernel or System logs (can't remember which one at the moment) for hard disk read errors being reported.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• I don't think you are sopposed to be using the applance ISO unless you have a standard Astaro aaplance. Have you tryed to download the software ISO
  • I don't think you are sopposed to be using the applance ISO unless you have a standard Astaro aaplance. Have you tryed to download the software ISO

but tthe link I provided above (and from where I've downloaded) IS the "software" appliance?!
    ftp://ftp.astaro.com/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/software_appliance/iso/

two directories up you see there are also ISOs for "hardware appliances" and for VMs.
    ftp://ftp.astaro.com/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/
    I was (and still am) fairly certain I have the right one?!