This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Ich10r raid support?

Good morning,
I'm trying to install ASG on ICH10 Raid controler on this motherboard.
When I need to setup disks it see two phisical drives and not one logical drive (raid1)
I've checked HCL and ICH10R is compatible with ASG8...

How can I get hardware support?
My controller can be setup as "Intel Matrix Storage"  or as "Adaptec mode" but in both ways I see two hard drives.

Can you help me?
Thanks
Andrea

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I don't believe they support software raid. it is one thing for your northbridge to work just fine with Astaro (That's why its on the HCL) but while this may have changed, last time I checked  I believe software raid was unsupported.
  • but, if I search in HCL "ICH10R" I see it is supported by v8...
    Do you mean I can use it only in sata mode? [:(]
    ...doh!

thank you,
    Andrea
  • Don't quote me on this but believe they added AHCI support to the ICH10 OR ICH10R in V8, I think you might need to get a real RAID controller in order to do RAID.  I know in the BIOS you can set it to  IDE, ACHI or RAID mode.  So I think you may either be out of luck or you may need to buy a RAID card if you have the extra $$$$

But wait for official word from Astaro before you go an buy anything, I am not totally sure I am right [:)]
  • I am not sure if any linux kernels support the software raid like the Intel matrix raid controllers.
  • The ICH10R is supported only in SATA mode. As mos4567 mentioned you'll need to purchase a true raid controller to use raid within Astaro, bios or 'fake' raid doesn't work.

"Bios raid" or "fake raid" don't work in Astaro because those depend in part on drivers in the system to handle the RAID portion, which for Linux is getting better but isn't quite there yet.

Contrast that to a true RAID controller where *everything* is done on-board the controller and all that's presented to the operating system is the virtual disk that represents the array.
  • I am not sure if any linux kernels support the software raid like the Intel matrix raid controllers.

Linux support for the 'fake raid' controllers is done through the md subsystem and it's companion userland program mdadm. In recent kernels support is getting good enough with Intel's RAID that I'd let it loose on a test, maybe even my home system, but not production.
  • The ICH support you see mentioned in the Astaro HCLs only means that they support the chipset.  While they support the chipset, they do not support RAID arrays configured on ICH chipsets, only single HDD devices.  To use RAID on Astaro, you have to use one of the "real" RAID controllers listed in the HCL.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• ICHx or any motherboard based RAID if FRAID or fakeraid.  It's not even true software raid.  Linux Kernel software raid(either raid 1 or zero) will NOT impact system performance.  FRIAD WILL impact system performance.  If you want raid areca/3ware is your best bet as even some adaptec's are nothing more than glorified FRAID cards.

Astaro only supports true hardware raid.  It does not support either FRAID or software raid.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow