This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Small form factor PC to run v7

Hey all, new to the Astaro community, looking to put an v7 box up to protect my 6 lil ones from the nasties on the internet.  It seems my girls have discovered the world of web chat communities.  Anyway, I am looking to pick up a nice small form factor PC to run this on, or build one if there are no other options.  I am looking for something small and quiet that i can put in the closet with my existing router, NAS and battery backup.
533MHz 2MB Socket 775 CPU 
Memory: Corsair CM2X512-5400C4
I poked around a little today and here is what I am thinking:

Case: SHUTTLE XPC SS31T 
CPU: Intel Pentium D 805 2.66GHz  or P4 3.0 GHz 2mb cache
Cooler: Thermaltake CL-P0378 Silent 775D CPU Cooler
Mem: 512MB DDR2-667 x 2
CD: ASUS CD-S520A5 52X IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160215AS 160GB Serial ATA(SATA)
NIC: 4LAN 4-Port 10/100 PCI Network Adapter 
Total Cost: $438.00

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
RK

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • The Intel Pentium D (dual core) series CPUs have a number of technical problems, which have been well documented by Intel. Some of these problems are security related.

I would suggest going with an AMD Athlon CPU instead.
  • That configuration should be fine; I too have heard of the Core Duo issues that a security researcher recently brought to light; however, my read of it is that it is a bit overblown---but opinions vary.  I might add that the Astaro would not be able to inspect the actual content on chat rooms; however, you can use it to control which chat rooms / web sites the kids go to.  You can also block them from using non "Dad / Mom approved" chat clients. 6 little ones!  Wow, you're outnumbered! [:)]

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• That board will also take a P4 3.0 GHZ Processor with 2MB cache for about the same price.
  • t2K,
    hi, have a look at my signature for my configuration.

It runs very quiet, low power, plenty of performance.

An other alternative if you can't get an AMD 754 pin motherboard, have a look at a the AMD AM2 X2 3800+ it is a low power CPU, around 35w, runs DDR2. Asus make a motherboard with an onboard display chip. You would need to add another NIC. People will warn you away from using the onboard NVida NIC. I found if I use it as the external interface I don't have many problems.

With V7.006 being released shortly you will find the memory usage has dropped and 1gb of RAM will be sufficient and a the CPU will be very under utilized. I run 25 packet filter (about 10 are time managed) and web profiles most of which are time managed. All IPS, virus scanning, proxies (HTTP, socks, pop3 and smtp)

Ian M[[[:)]]][[[:)]]][[[:)]]]

Not all 3800 are low rated, so becareful when you choose. There is a new processor BE-2300 that is 45w.
  • Well my new system works great and I would think would be adequate for your needs... Check it out:
    http://astaro.org/showthread.php?t=18875

You should also check out some of the (low-power) Core 2 Duo Mobile systems from logicsupply...

I had ASG running on a Shuttle SK41G before moving to my new low-power system. Good luck [:)]