This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Huawei (Vodafone) K3770 3G USB Modem Support

The Huawei K3770 is a 3G dongle widely shipped with prepaid mobile broadband in my country. I want to use it for a backup line.

# lsusb
(output omitted)
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 12d1:14c9 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. 

However, when adding a new '3G/UTMS' interface, it doesn't show up under hardware. I assume Sophos UTM isn't compatible with this dongle yet?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • According to 3G/UMTS devices supported by Astaro Security Gateway RED10 rev.2, the 3765 works with the RED.  I haven't seen a list of compatible units for the UTM itself.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Sometimes you need to restart the UTM after connecting a 3G/4G dongle while the dongle is connected.
    On the latest unit I built I didn't need to restart, but previous units required a restart.

Ian
  • Sometimes you need to restart the UTM after connecting a 3G/4G dongle while the dongle is connected.
    On the latest unit I built I didn't need to restart, but previous units required a restart.

Ian

I restarted it, but that didn't make any difference though.
  • Check the port type, sometimes the dongles don't like usb3 also check to see if there is a software update for the dongle.
    At one stage I had to keep moving my connection around the various ports until one recognised the dongle, very frustrating.

Ian
  • I checked all the USB ports with a restart, but I'm afraid I must conclude that UTM9 can't handle this device... yet?
  • An update on this manner.

I tried it with 2 dongles, even a ZTE MF190, whose has been reported to work. I tried all USB slots, but my ASG just didn't recognize it.

After trying some things in the backend, this seemed to do the job.

(ZTE MF190)

# sudo /usr/local/bin/modemtest /dev/ttyUSB0

Error: device already in use!
    Manufacturer: unknown
    Model: unkown

For some reason, I accidently did the same command again. Surprisingly, with another output this time.

# sudo /usr/local/bin/modemtest /dev/ttyUSB0

ATI
    Manufacturer: huawei
    Model: K3770
    Revision: 21.023.04.00.11
    IMEI: Omitted from output
    +GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES

OK

# sudo /usr/local/bin/modemtest /dev/ttyUSB1

Error: device already in use!
    Manufacturer: unknown
    Model: unkown

# sudo /usr/local/bin/modemtest /dev/ttyUSB1

ATI
    Manufacturer: huawei
    Model: K3770
    Revision: 21.023.04.00.11
    IMEI: Omitted from output
    +GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES

OK

Still, nothing appeared in the WebAdmin. So, I looked up some topics about this, where I found this interesting command.

# sudo setitfhw.plx 

Name "Astaro::NICS::errstr" used only once: possible typo at setitfhw.pl line 98.

(Some output omitted)

[ttyUSB0]
    type = usbserial
    hardware = ttyUSB0
    product = 14c9
    description = huawei - K3770
    vendor = 12d1
    control = ttyUSB1

I looked in the WebAdmin again. And this time, I had got a hit. The modem appeared in the list. I set up the connection, and it connected well. It was also considerably stable.

For a second time, I tried the same method with my K3770 webstick. It worked! But for some reason, the first time WebAdmin says the PINcode is incorrect. The second time it accepts it, for some reason. This happened all the times I tried.

The downside of this workaround: the commands described above needs to be redone on every reboot. For some reason, UTM9 doesn't detect the device at boot, causing the interface is linked to no device. After executing the commands again, edit the USB interface in the WebAdmin, and pick your dongle from the list.

I hope the developers will do something with this.

(I am very tired, so excuse me for my English)