This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

64 bit support

My brother in law just upgraded his Athlon 64 from 2800 to the 3400 and for my birthday, he gave me the 2800 chip. I love this guy. Just for curiosity sake... does ASL support 64-bit chips? I'd like to try it out if it does since I'll be building a machine for this CPU anyway.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • AFAIK the kernel for ASL is a 32 bit derivative.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Could the kernel be recompiled using the plus-pack to support 64 bit?
    Hey, there's an idea for v6, an install option for a 64bit CPU.
  • Doesnt the athlon run in 32 bit mode as well though?

So you could still use the CPU, just not in 64 bit mode...

Some of us are still on 500MHz celerons and so 64bit Astaro is way down the list of features [:)]
  • Yep the AMD64 runs 32/64bit at the same time.  It'd be intresting to see if the install finishes on the v5 RC disks... I tried it on the Betas but found the install crashes just after the Hardware was detected.
  • True, it does run in 32 bit mode, There are a ton of powerful 32bit chips out there but I was wondering about true 64bit operation.
    I realize that most of use home users are using older machines (me included) but was just curious about actual 64 bit performance.
  • Don't worry to much.  if there's enough urge for it there'll probably be a seperate distro, such as with the cobalt pcs in earlier releases.  *shrugs*  I'd be intrested in a AMD64 compliant release as well with or without multi CPU Support.
  • Jim, I doubt 64-bit mode would make ASL much faster... I know the Athlon is often slightly faster in 64-bit mode (only because of the extra registers), but some programs will be slower in 64-bit mode (due to the increase in code & data size).

Sounds to me like the problem with hardware detection is due to the newness of the chipsets, etc (no drivers yet).

Use the CPU in your desktop, or send it to me!

Barry
  • In my view, for the next few years at least, the new 64 bit processors will end up in high performance workstations and high end file servers. They are wasted on a firewall/router.

Some of the little SOHO routers you can buy, I have a SMC Barricade Wi-Fi access point, are still using 16-bit 80186 CPUs.
  • Thanks for the input. I wasn't really going to waste the power of that chip on a firewall, but just thought I'd check it out to see how it ran. It will find a nice new home in a desktop I'll be building.

Sorry, barrygould, there are no extra processors lying around. I told my wife that the problem with our current desktop was the mouse. It needed to be plugged into a new machine.  

Thanks, all.
  • I think i'll file that excuse away for future use....