This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM 9.X Ubiquiti Unifi AP Tutorial

Hello,

I have scoured the web for hours trying to find a simple tutorial on how to add a non-Sophos AP to UTM Home. Unfortunately I'm fruitless.

So far I have:

• Plugged the AP into my switch which is connected to UTM
  • DHCP is running and it has an automatically assigned an IP
  • Wireless Protection is enabled and configured to run on the Internal network
  • I am viewing the Access Points but there is nothing in pending

Please could anyone share their experience with this. Is there something stupid I am missing?

Thank you in advance.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Anyone able to shed some light on this please?

• Your AP will not appear at Sophos Access Point ist.

You need to use the controller from Ubiquiti Unifi.

There is none integration.

Regards,

• If you wish to use the inbuilt Wireless Protection Feature in sophos UTM9 you will need a Sophos branded Access Point. 

There are a few things to bare in mind though.

• Whats your coverage area?
    • Whats your budget as Sophos AP's aren't especially cheap.
    •  How many users (im guessing as your on a home licence around 50ish)
    • What wireless specification do you aim to use 2.4Ghz (b/g/n) 5Ghz (a/n) or both (n/ac) as this will link back in with the price.

Personally I bought 2 AP30 2.4Ghz N access points and ive only needed 1 of them to cover my whole house back garden and driveway (my house has concrete walls)

hope that has given you a more detailed answer and some points to consider if you do decide to use the Sophos Wireless Protection feature.

Sam

• We have two of the Unify AP LR devices on our network - they work great! We are not using them to run a separate network, simply extending our exiting network.

You need to use the Unify Utility to initially configure the APs (update the firmware, configure the radios and assign static IPs and setup a Vlan if required). Once configured, they just start working!  As another responder mentioned, they cannot be used in the "Wireless Protection" section of the UTM, but if all you want to do is setup one or two APs to extend your network it takes about 5 mins.

Dave Cline