This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Disk usage goes 100% and stays there.

I have one Windows 10 machine with Sophos Endpoint Security, and occasionally (every day), when accessing Adobe Lightroom, the disk goes 100% solid red and the computer becomes totally unusable.

I managed to get performance monitor to come up once, after almost an hour.  It was Endpoint Protection scanning the Lightroom database that was at 100%.

I added and exclusion to the path, but it made no difference.  I still see Endpoint Protection scanning that folder, even though it is listed as an exclusion.

This problem doesn't happen everytime we use Lightroom, but it does happen multiple times a day.  The only solution has been to hard-reset the affected computer.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I found the cause of the disk 100%, the drive was faulty.

However, the fact that Endpoint Protection ignores my setting to not scan a folder, remains a problem.

• Hi,

What are you excluding?  A file? A directory?

What was the exclusion(s) you added exactly?

Are they based on advice from Adobe or is it files/directories you have determined need to be excluded by say running Process Monitor?

Regards,

Jak

• It is one directory.  C:\creative cloud library\

So, my wife is a photographer, and the database for Lightroom is huge.  When it is accessed, resource manager shows SAV goes into meltdown trying to scan it.  It's so bad your only option is to reboot.  Sometimes even the mouse won't move.

Over the last week I upgraded that drive to a high performance SATA-6 drive.  I disabled Superfetch and Windows Search Indexing.

With those changes it is now usable.  However, SAV does ignore my desire to not scan that folder.

• Hi,

Did you add the exclusion to on-access/real-time scanning as:
    C:\create cloud library\

I.e. there was a trailing backslash to indicate a directory rather than a non-existent file?

If that doesn't work.  I would suggest running Process Monitor (technet.microsoft.com/.../processmonitor.aspx) on the computer and provoke the behaviour

Add the column "Duration" and add a filter for Duration is more than 0.1.

You're interested in read and write file operations.  Any particular files have a duration greater than 0.1 seconds?  Are these outside of your exclusion?

Regards,

Jak

• Yes, that's what i did.

BTW, her computer is totally smegged right now.  Disk is 100% for the last hour.  I'm trying to get it to get into task manager, but it will probably take a few hours.