This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Web Security Performance Issues

I've got multiple clients on ASG120 and ASG220 Appliances that once Web Security is Enabled the Web Surfing slows down to a crawl.  I upgraded a client from a 256k T1 to a 8Mbps Broadband Cable connection and they didn't see any improvement on Internet Speeds.  If I disable the Web Security, the Internet Speeds are blazing.  I've tried disabling AV Scanning and Caching which seems to help, but it still isn't that great.

Could there be something missing or is this just something 8.201?

My Config is as follows.

Web Security Enabled - Transparent Mode - Authentication is None.
URL Filtering is Allow by Default - Block Spyware Communication
We then have certain categories set to block

I have this same setup at other except for the Authentication being set at Agent.

Any suggestions would be helpful. It is definitely Web Security slow it down as when it is off the Internet is fast.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Sorry they're on 8.202 which should be the latest release.
  • What happens if you disable URL filtering (including unchecking blocking of spyware)?  I've had a couple of customers, due to network issues, that had trouble reaching the cloud content filter categorization servers in a reasonable amount of time... if the speed improves, then look in this forum for the instructions needed to enable local content filter DBs.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• I'll test turning the URL filtering off and see what happens. Will post the results.
  • Hi

Do you already went through these tweaking tipps.

If it helps it would be nice, if you leave a coment in the tweaking thread for other users....[:)]

/Sascha
  • You should ask the clients why they think it's slow.  Those on-line tests can't be relied upon.

When a file is downloaded, if the download is large enough, the Astaro will display a progress graph.  If it's smaller, then you can't see the time spent running anti-virus.  If it's large enough AV isn't run.  Try timing a download of a file large/small enough to show the progress screen.

If the test simulates a big webpage with lots of links on it, then each link is examined in sequence by the URL filter unless you turn it off.

Let us know how things work out.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I disagree with some of the tweaking tips on that page.  The exceptions list is not necessary imo.  the biggest performance booster is the local cff cache.  with the limited ram of the 12x and 22x use the disk option and not the ram option.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• I disagree with some of the tweaking tips on that page.  The exceptions list is not necessary imo.  the biggest performance booster is the local cff cache.  with the limited ram of the 12x and 22x use the disk option and not the ram option.

Hello William, that's why I wrote "give it a try". These are no mandatory tweaks nor may they make in every scenario sense. Feel free to also post your experiences on the tweaking page [:)]

Even if I appreciate very much, that Astaro made the local CFFDB option available under the hood, I personally don't see a reasonable benefit vs. resource usage, why a home user should use a local CFFDB for his 1-2 concurrent users on a low ressource / low performance system. Same for small companies using the lower memory equipped appliances -especially if they have fullguard an use nearly every feature as IDS/IPS, mail, web, app control, WIFI etc. This will put additional load on a box which already may swap a lot even without local CFFDB. Tipps as caching exceptions or lowering storage time of reporting databases also helps to lower disk i/o's, and a swapping CFFDB, or a disk based CFFDB on a low memory appliance with >50 concurrent surfing users will definately create lot disk I/O. The newer SATA Disk based appliances are good for a reasonable amount of disk I/O but try these tweaks also on a older ASG (using IDE disks and older CPU's)

Most normal webpages are loaded with or without local CFFDB nearly identical fast on a good tweaked system, I found, that usually from content view overloaded websites as some very colored newspapers with tons of pictures, scripts, cross-site linked content are loaded noticeably faster using local CFFDB, but this is a minority of the sites...
  • the reason for the local cff is the cff servers are most likely the cuase of http proxy issues...that and hte large increase in functionality(the web applicaiton control).  hOwever i'll take my objections to that therad and ot continue hijacking this one..my apologies to OP.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• ok I tested with Disabling the URL Filter, Caching, AV, Etc.. I just went down the list.

The reason they think it is slow is that a webpage takes about 30 seconds to a minute and sometimes the site just doesn't open.  Testing the same site without Web Security everything opens instantly.  Reviewing the logs the Sites have the Username is listed and the site is listed as Pass.  It is like the Web Security just forgets what to do with it after approving it.

With Web Security Disabled all Web Pages open very fast on the 50Mbps connection.  I enabled the Local Content Filter Database and it also didn't make a difference.  I've been running into this problem more and more after the 8.2 release.
  • Wow, that really is slow and isn't at all what I'm seeing.

This sounds like it might be a DNS configuration problem. Try a google on: site:astaro.org DNS Best Practice

If that doesn't solve your problem, please show a few lines from the Web Filtering log with these slow accesses.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA