This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Web Security Performance Issues

I've got multiple clients on ASG120 and ASG220 Appliances that once Web Security is Enabled the Web Surfing slows down to a crawl.  I upgraded a client from a 256k T1 to a 8Mbps Broadband Cable connection and they didn't see any improvement on Internet Speeds.  If I disable the Web Security, the Internet Speeds are blazing.  I've tried disabling AV Scanning and Caching which seems to help, but it still isn't that great.

Could there be something missing or is this just something 8.201?

My Config is as follows.

Web Security Enabled - Transparent Mode - Authentication is None.
URL Filtering is Allow by Default - Block Spyware Communication
We then have certain categories set to block

I have this same setup at other except for the Authentication being set at Agent.

Any suggestions would be helpful. It is definitely Web Security slow it down as when it is off the Internet is fast.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I disagree with some of the tweaking tips on that page.  The exceptions list is not necessary imo.  the biggest performance booster is the local cff cache.  with the limited ram of the 12x and 22x use the disk option and not the ram option.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• I disagree with some of the tweaking tips on that page.  The exceptions list is not necessary imo.  the biggest performance booster is the local cff cache.  with the limited ram of the 12x and 22x use the disk option and not the ram option.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

Children

Hello William, that's why I wrote "give it a try". These are no mandatory tweaks nor may they make in every scenario sense. Feel free to also post your experiences on the tweaking page [:)]

Even if I appreciate very much, that Astaro made the local CFFDB option available under the hood, I personally don't see a reasonable benefit vs. resource usage, why a home user should use a local CFFDB for his 1-2 concurrent users on a low ressource / low performance system. Same for small companies using the lower memory equipped appliances -especially if they have fullguard an use nearly every feature as IDS/IPS, mail, web, app control, WIFI etc. This will put additional load on a box which already may swap a lot even without local CFFDB. Tipps as caching exceptions or lowering storage time of reporting databases also helps to lower disk i/o's, and a swapping CFFDB, or a disk based CFFDB on a low memory appliance with >50 concurrent surfing users will definately create lot disk I/O. The newer SATA Disk based appliances are good for a reasonable amount of disk I/O but try these tweaks also on a older ASG (using IDE disks and older CPU's)

Most normal webpages are loaded with or without local CFFDB nearly identical fast on a good tweaked system, I found, that usually from content view overloaded websites as some very colored newspapers with tons of pictures, scripts, cross-site linked content are loaded noticeably faster using local CFFDB, but this is a minority of the sites...