Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to clone a drive to another drive

I have a computer with a hard drive encrypted with Sophos SafeGuard and I would like to clone the drive to another drive (an SSD) for better performance.

Is this possible?

What tools are good to use?

Are there any things I should watch out for?

Thanks!

:29279

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

I'm afraid but there is currently no supported way to do this.

Please note the KBA 110597 for more details in case of using image based Windows OS in general.

Best regards
    Rainer

:29431
  • Hi Antize,

we haven't officially tested any imaging software alongside with SafeGuard Enterprise in the official test / qa cycle but you can of course always create an image of your disk to move on to another drive.

There are certain things that you have  to keep in mind:

- the disk is encrypted, so you can only perform sector by sector copies and the image cannot be compressed - so your target drive should be at the same size as your source drive.

Also you must copy every sector - even those that are flagged as "bad" within the file system. Otherwise you wouldn't copy important parts from SafeGuard Enterprise (i.e. the POA), when taking the image.

Please mind that I cannot give out any recommendation regarding imaging tools.

Edit: We do support Lenovo Rescue and recovery of course ;)

Cheers,

Chris

:29517
  • Thanks guys! I've read about using ghost with special flags to do a sector by sector copy. Unfortunately the SSD is smaller than the drive i'm copying so I can't do that. 

What I ended up doing was use VMware converter to do a hot clone. That made a VM of my computer. The VM was able to boot up. It had an odd part of the boot sequence where it said something to the effect of loading the encryption kernel, then a black sreen, but it eventually booted Windows. Since this essentially decrypted the drive I was able to just use a ghost boot disc to image the VM virtual drive and use ghost again to image the SSD with it. 

:29685
  • I used Chirs D's suggestion.  I do have a couple things to add.  

I imaged my whole 300GB drive to my new 500GB SSD, bad sectors and all.  I then booted into windows on the new SSD and resized the main partition from 300GB to 500GB.  I rebooted.  Windows wanted to run through startup recovery but this what windows does if you change the main partition.  Everythings seems work great.  I will repost if anything goes wrong.  So far, it works great.

It seems you can shrink or extend partition if you the Sophos decryption drivers are running.

:46253
  • I have tried cloning with Acronis TrueImage 2018 using a sector by sector clone.  The drive "successfully" cloned but Safeguard auto login no longer works.  Instead I now receive a message stating that "Workstation is locked! Perform Challenge/Response to unlock."

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to PntV

Have you run a challenge/response against the server yet?

• >Edit: We do support Lenovo Rescue and recovery of course ;)

!!!DO NOT INSTALL THIS!!!

I downloaded this Programm on non Lenowo PC and it took me 5 hours to have a stable Machine again.