This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to clone a drive to another drive

I have a computer with a hard drive encrypted with Sophos SafeGuard and I would like to clone the drive to another drive (an SSD) for better performance.

Is this possible?

What tools are good to use?

Are there any things I should watch out for?

Thanks!

:29279

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Thanks guys! I've read about using ghost with special flags to do a sector by sector copy. Unfortunately the SSD is smaller than the drive i'm copying so I can't do that. 

What I ended up doing was use VMware converter to do a hot clone. That made a VM of my computer. The VM was able to boot up. It had an odd part of the boot sequence where it said something to the effect of loading the encryption kernel, then a black sreen, but it eventually booted Windows. Since this essentially decrypted the drive I was able to just use a ghost boot disc to image the VM virtual drive and use ghost again to image the SSD with it. 

:29685
  • Thanks guys! I've read about using ghost with special flags to do a sector by sector copy. Unfortunately the SSD is smaller than the drive i'm copying so I can't do that. 

What I ended up doing was use VMware converter to do a hot clone. That made a VM of my computer. The VM was able to boot up. It had an odd part of the boot sequence where it said something to the effect of loading the encryption kernel, then a black sreen, but it eventually booted Windows. Since this essentially decrypted the drive I was able to just use a ghost boot disc to image the VM virtual drive and use ghost again to image the SSD with it. 

:29685
Children
No Data