This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I may have found a massive hole in Data Control which is slightly worring?

It would appear that if you create a Data Control Policy which prevent users from emailing file types to unauthorised email destinations like gmail, webmail, hotmail and attach any document from a network directory it allows the email to be sent (Shocking).

If you attach a file from your local machine it blocks the file fine, it would seem that the Sophos agent has difficulties understanding mapped drives which it pretty shocking for a security product.

Note:

I have sent this information to Sophos to review and I may have missed something so don't take this as gospel.  This maybe an isolated issue which is happening in my environment.

Server 2003 R2 x64 SEC 4.7.0.13

Client Win7 x86 9.5

:15489

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I have to agree with James.  When data control is turned on for our home user's it creates a nightmare.  Through testing I have found that there are several factors that need to be met.  User's on Windows platforms, use IE8, and access our domain through an Aruba RAP.  IE is launched and the homepage is loaded anywhere from 30 to minutes later.  I've done several Wireshark captures to see what is creating the delay.  It appears that Data Control is hammering away at our NetApp filer creating all sorts of issues.  Note that we only have around 175 home users but if data control is turned on for them it will essentially bring the filer to its knees, rendering it useless.  If we are unable to scan our network drives there is no real use for Data Control as it is policy to save all files to the network and not to the local drive.  I can easily recreate this problem and would love to be able to use Data Control, however cannot until this issue is resolved.

:18321
  • I have to agree with James.  When data control is turned on for our home user's it creates a nightmare.  Through testing I have found that there are several factors that need to be met.  User's on Windows platforms, use IE8, and access our domain through an Aruba RAP.  IE is launched and the homepage is loaded anywhere from 30 to minutes later.  I've done several Wireshark captures to see what is creating the delay.  It appears that Data Control is hammering away at our NetApp filer creating all sorts of issues.  Note that we only have around 175 home users but if data control is turned on for them it will essentially bring the filer to its knees, rendering it useless.  If we are unable to scan our network drives there is no real use for Data Control as it is policy to save all files to the network and not to the local drive.  I can easily recreate this problem and would love to be able to use Data Control, however cannot until this issue is resolved.

:18321
Children
No Data