This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WebProtection can't resolve hostnames without domain suffix

It seems that it's not possible to use WebProtection at all if I need http access to hosts on local or tunneled networks.

For example on Windows workstations there is a advanced DNS tab where I can put in a list with additional domain suffixes so every DNS request is being suffixed with those domains until a matching host is found.

Now when I use WebProtection in "Transparent mode" and try to access host-xyz without a domain suffix I get an error message from the sophos firewall.

Now my questions:

1. Is there a way to add multiple domain suffixes for the WebProtection proxy?

2. Since those hosts are trustful web-servers it would be also ok to create a Exception in Filtering Options to skip protection when accessing hostnames without domain suffixes. How I could create such a exception?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Chris, is this the three company situation?  Did you configure according to my discussion on your first thread?

I'm a little confused by your problem here.  In Transparent mode, it's the client that does the DNS query, not the UTM, so I don't understand how the DNS problem could be involved with the UTM.  Please show us a picture of the error and show the line in the Web Filtering log file related to the URL that gave rise to the error.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Chris, is this the three company situation?  Did you configure according to my discussion on your first thread?

I'm a little confused by your problem here.  In Transparent mode, it's the client that does the DNS query, not the UTM, so I don't understand how the DNS problem could be involved with the UTM.  Please show us a picture of the error and show the line in the Web Filtering log file related to the URL that gave rise to the error.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data