Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Transparent mode skiplist

I'm experiencing an interesting issue with the "Transparent mode skiplist".  It seems that my backup service (Crashplan) will intermittently stop working until I add the fqdn of the destination backup server to this list.  So anytime the backup destination changes, my backups fail until this is updated.  For example:

the backup destination might be backup1.crashplan.com, but now change to backup2.crashplan.com and fail until added to the list.

I am continually adding "DNS Host" network definitions and adding them to the "Transparent mode skiplist".  My question is related to creating some kind of network definition that allows for "ANYTHING".crashplan.com to be added to the list in one shot?  Are there other filtering options I can use that would make this work without managing the "Transparent mode skiplist" manually?  I notice my I am currently in "Standard Mode" under Global of the Web Filtering tab.  Currently running firmware version: 9.209-8

Let me know if you have more questions.  Thanks!

Adam Tyler
adam@tylercrew.com

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I appreciate you not going the condescending route.  Interesting that you've been able to get this to work.  Can you give me the exact steps to follow your config?  I'm curious now having spent so much time on it.

I used to be a consultant, but have settled into a 8-5 job since then.  Probably won't be going through the training, just been using the free home license since my company provided SonicWALL was pulled.  I really do like the device.  I am using site to site VPN, email filtering, reverse NAT rules, client DSL VPN, LDAP integration, etc...  Just haven't been thrilled with the content filter .   Especially for home use.  It seems every time you'd turn around something didn't work as a result of the content filter.  My only recourse was to add IP's and definitions manually.  Was jut getting old.  I did lose the granularity of applying different content filtering policies to different users after the openDNS route.  Not a big fan of that, but the benefits of the internet working are enough to make it ok.

I even opened a ticket with crash plan support trying to get them to give me their subnets....  Nope, can't do it.  Yeesh...

I am also experiencing another issue with using this appliance in a VMware cluster.  It seems everything it gets vMotioned to a different host the license has to be reapplied.  So, it doesn't exactly like having the CPU Id change is my guess.  Ever run into that?  I'll probably open a different thread.
  • I appreciate you not going the condescending route.  Interesting that you've been able to get this to work.  Can you give me the exact steps to follow your config?  I'm curious now having spent so much time on it.

I used to be a consultant, but have settled into a 8-5 job since then.  Probably won't be going through the training, just been using the free home license since my company provided SonicWALL was pulled.  I really do like the device.  I am using site to site VPN, email filtering, reverse NAT rules, client DSL VPN, LDAP integration, etc...  Just haven't been thrilled with the content filter .   Especially for home use.  It seems every time you'd turn around something didn't work as a result of the content filter.  My only recourse was to add IP's and definitions manually.  Was jut getting old.  I did lose the granularity of applying different content filtering policies to different users after the openDNS route.  Not a big fan of that, but the benefits of the internet working are enough to make it ok.

I even opened a ticket with crash plan support trying to get them to give me their subnets....  Nope, can't do it.  Yeesh...

I am also experiencing another issue with using this appliance in a VMware cluster.  It seems everything it gets vMotioned to a different host the license has to be reapplied.  So, it doesn't exactly like having the CPU Id change is my guess.  Ever run into that?  I'll probably open a different thread.

I do not use vmware i use hyper-v.  i'll detail how i use things..i'm busy right now so i'll be replying.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

I do not use vmware i use hyper-v.  i'll detail how i use things..i'm busy right now so i'll be replying.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

Children
No Data