This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Traffic shaping a remote site - What are my options?

We have a remote site which is currently connected to our UTM via a Red-50 over a Standard/Split tunnel.

The site uses IP phones which also connects to our main site but quality drops out when the remote site maxes-out it's internet connection. 

It is quite a simple site with only a few workers connected to the RED (no servers just laptops and phones) so I don't want to go too overboard but ultimately just want to sort out some traffic shaping so the phone ports will always have priority.

I have only done a quick google but it seems the easiest options would probably be changing the tunnel to transparent (am I right in thinking I would need to add a local dhcp server or giving everyone a static if I went down this route)   or to link a second utm at the remote site where I can set up my own local traffic shaping policy.

any Ideas on the best way forward?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • HI Ittech,

Configuring Transparent / Split will be complex. Why don't you simply buy another ISP connection for VOIP traffic instead of prioritizing VOIP through QoS and buy a separate UTM.

Thanks

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• I agree with Sachin.  When someone fills up a pipe, it doesn't matter if you have QoS active when dealing with a real-time stream like VoIP.  Even if you had another UTM instead of a RED, I still think you'd be better off with a second connection for VoIP.  The advantage of the UTM would be that you could use Multipath rules to allow VoIP to fail over to your primary connection if the VoIP line failed.

In general, I recommend a UTM 115 with a 3-yr Network Protection subscription as cheaper and better than a RED 50 with a 2-yr warranty extension.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA