This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Daylight Savings Time and Energy Policy Act of 2005

I am just curious as to if i should be worried about the new Daylight Savings act that is going into play in about 2 months from now.  I know that it has affected several cisco and windows applications and systems.  Please let me know if there will be a patch or if we should be fine.

Thanks,
Ryan

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Any eta when this patch will be available? It's getting close..
  • Looks like 7.002 has the updated timezones. Still don't know about V6, though!

Astaro is pushing it close!
  • I just ran a quick check on my Novell Security Manager (ASG) 6.303 box:

/etc/localtime  Sun Apr  1 06:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Apr  1 01:59:59 2007 EST isdst=0 gmtoff=-18000
    /etc/localtime  Sun Apr  1 07:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Apr  1 03:00:00 2007 EDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-14400
    /etc/localtime  Sun Oct 28 05:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Oct 28 01:59:59 2007 EDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-14400
    /etc/localtime  Sun Oct 28 06:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Oct 28 01:00:00 2007 EST isdst=0 gmtoff=-18000

:-/
  • I have just manually pushed timezone-2.5-25.i586.rpm onto my production box as an interim measure. I did some experimenting with the timezone package on a number of SuSE-based machines last evening, and what I found was that, in general, if rpm didn't complain about package dependencies, the updated module was pretty much interchangeable  across the board (don't ask about SuSE Personal 9.1 - it was a nightmare).

I got mine from http://tinyurl.com/3xxfyl, but there are a number of mirrors listed on  http://tinyurl.com/ysy5bq.

As always, this is an unsupported patch, and YMMV. Anyway, I offer it for your consideration.
  • Thanks for the workaround Lewis. At least we'll have some solution in case Astaro does not come through for us. But with the way updates have been going recently, I will be afraid to apply any updates to production machines without much testing!

Only a week to go before daylight savings!
  • We just heard back from Astaro Support. They said that QA is looking at it right now and should know more in the next day or two.
  • I'm simply amazed at long it has taken people to get on board with this stuff and I'm almost as guilty as everyone else, except there's not much a consultant can when he's waiting for the software from "up above" to float on down.

Last Friday, as an example, Novell *finally* released their GroupWise DST Adjustor [sic] 2007 tool. Last Friday? I can understand not releasing anything until after the last time shift, but come on! [:O]

Considering the number of log files ASL creates, can you just imagine the mess if we don't have our clocks in sync?

Cheers, and thanks for the update from Astaro!
  • Here is some steps you can do, without needing to apply an unsupported rpm to your install.. this just replaces the TZ data files.

https://secure-support.novell.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/51/3655154_f.SAL_Public.html
Reply Children
No Data