This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Daylight Savings Time and Energy Policy Act of 2005

I am just curious as to if i should be worried about the new Daylight Savings act that is going into play in about 2 months from now.  I know that it has affected several cisco and windows applications and systems.  Please let me know if there will be a patch or if we should be fine.

Thanks,
Ryan

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Any eta when this patch will be available? It's getting close..
  • Looks like 7.002 has the updated timezones. Still don't know about V6, though!

Astaro is pushing it close!
  • I just ran a quick check on my Novell Security Manager (ASG) 6.303 box:

/etc/localtime  Sun Apr  1 06:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Apr  1 01:59:59 2007 EST isdst=0 gmtoff=-18000
    /etc/localtime  Sun Apr  1 07:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Apr  1 03:00:00 2007 EDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-14400
    /etc/localtime  Sun Oct 28 05:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Oct 28 01:59:59 2007 EDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-14400
    /etc/localtime  Sun Oct 28 06:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Oct 28 01:00:00 2007 EST isdst=0 gmtoff=-18000

:-/
  • I have just manually pushed timezone-2.5-25.i586.rpm onto my production box as an interim measure. I did some experimenting with the timezone package on a number of SuSE-based machines last evening, and what I found was that, in general, if rpm didn't complain about package dependencies, the updated module was pretty much interchangeable  across the board (don't ask about SuSE Personal 9.1 - it was a nightmare).

I got mine from http://tinyurl.com/3xxfyl, but there are a number of mirrors listed on  http://tinyurl.com/ysy5bq.

As always, this is an unsupported patch, and YMMV. Anyway, I offer it for your consideration.
  • Thanks for the workaround Lewis. At least we'll have some solution in case Astaro does not come through for us. But with the way updates have been going recently, I will be afraid to apply any updates to production machines without much testing!

Only a week to go before daylight savings!
  • We just heard back from Astaro Support. They said that QA is looking at it right now and should know more in the next day or two.
  • I'm simply amazed at long it has taken people to get on board with this stuff and I'm almost as guilty as everyone else, except there's not much a consultant can when he's waiting for the software from "up above" to float on down.

Last Friday, as an example, Novell *finally* released their GroupWise DST Adjustor [sic] 2007 tool. Last Friday? I can understand not releasing anything until after the last time shift, but come on! [:O]

Considering the number of log files ASL creates, can you just imagine the mess if we don't have our clocks in sync?

Cheers, and thanks for the update from Astaro!
  • I'm simply amazed at long it has taken people to get on board with this stuff and I'm almost as guilty as everyone else, except there's not much a consultant can when he's waiting for the software from "up above" to float on down.

Last Friday, as an example, Novell *finally* released their GroupWise DST Adjustor [sic] 2007 tool. Last Friday? I can understand not releasing anything until after the last time shift, but come on! [:O]

Considering the number of log files ASL creates, can you just imagine the mess if we don't have our clocks in sync?

Cheers, and thanks for the update from Astaro!
Children
No Data