Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RED 15w detected as rogue dhcp server on WAN uplink

I'm deploying our first RED, a 15w.  It has worked all over - my home, coworkers' homes, etc.

However we have a problem where we need it to work:

The County Health Department has nurses onsite at the local high school.  Those nurses are County employees, and I want to extend the County's private network to them @ the school.

When I plug in the RED 15w at the school, the tunnel comes up and all 4 lights are green - wonderful!  Then the WAN uplink port shuts down.

Here is what we found when we looked at the logs in the school's LAN switch:

>>DHCP Violation Occurred. Disabling port 32 temporarily

>>A Rogue DHCP Server with IP of 10.170.1.1 was detected on port 32

10.170.1.0/24 is the subnet I setup in UTM for this device.

Why is the DHCP Server for my remote/secure/tunneled Standard/Unified RED 15w LAN visible on the RED 15w's WAN port, to where the uplink device on the host LAN can detect it?

I never would have guessed the DHCP process in UTM for this RED would be visible to the RED's host network like that.  How can I fix it on the UTM side I wonder?

Worst case scenario:  I ask the school's IT to disable DHCP Server violation detection on the RED's uplink port.

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • My guess would be an Ethernet wiring issue in the high school, Kris.  What did Sophos Support say about this?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The solution was in the switch port config - disable DHCP guard on the port in the switch config and it worked fine.

Battle Creek, Michigan   USA

Reply Children
No Data